White Model 465 Made When?

Old 03-29-2015, 02:39 PM

Default White Model 465 Made When?

I realize a zigzag, built-in buttonhole machine doesn't qualify as vintage. But it's still an oldie. Does someone know about when it was manufactured? And if it's stamped JA15 near the model plate, does that mean it's Japanese made?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:53 PM

Pudge, J-A 15 indicates it was made in Japan by Koyo-Seiko. It's probably a late 50s to early 60s machine. However a couple good pics of it would go a long way to dating it. There's really no serial number charts to date the imports as there is for the Singers. Joe
Old 03-29-2015, 03:16 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515215[/ATTACH]
Here's my first attempt to upload a photo.
Attached Thumbnails 1427670886177.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 PM

Success! Yep, that's a vintage machine -- and a very nice one, too.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:18 PM

It is nice. I've cleaned it up, checked the wiring, all is good with one exception: the tensioner assembly is loose. I'm going to have to operate on it so I'll probably be back to consult with all of you when I get stuck. Ha, ha, ha. I had a 2 SM weekend - I purchased 1 machine and then was gifted 1. Woohoo.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM

Is it left homing? I don't see a "L M R" selector.

I really like it, but then I like almost all of the White machines - all but those really clunky looking ones . . .
Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 PM

That one is definitely vintage! I'm guessing 1960s for the age and toward the last part of when the dashboard style machines were being made. Construction methods changed a lot during the 80s.

I know for me vintage is more about the construction of the machine than about exactly which year it was made. To me vintage machines are all or mostly metal with mostly cast or good quality stamped steel parts inside as opposed to the plastic clamshell bodied machines with flimsy inner workings that are being produced today. Vintage machines also have very limited or no electronics as compared to modern computerized machines.

I don't know how I'm going to feel when the modern plastic wonders start being considered "vintage". The quality (except on high end models) just isn't there. They were built to break and be tossed as soon as the finish is scratched up and the stickers fade or when the warrantee expires. Slick plastic surfaces show every little scuff and can look pretty beat up pretty quickly. Vintage machines were built to last a lifetime or longer. There are Civil War era machines that still look good and are still capable of sewing.
Rodney
Old 03-29-2015, 05:49 PM

The machine has the ZZ plate on but the manual, in the section titled "Prepairing (Ha, ha) to Sew" explains how to move the needle position to the center and make it stay there. I just love machines that have all kinds of funky chrome dials, don't you? Lots of new machines have you reading a screen to select modes. Nothing like a real dial IMHO. Hee, hee.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM

I can use some help from folks. How do I take the tensioner assembly off? The end cap is smooth and round. There's no set screw on the side of the silver ring next to the end cap. Should I turn the silver ring left really hard? I tried a little, but no movement.