Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of? >

What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of?

What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Default What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of?

Gun prints, camo, bear, deer, trout and cabins are what I'm thinking... LOL! And plaid. Lots of plaid...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: remove term of violence
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 AM

I would think those would only apply if your He-Man super masculine guy is into hunting and fishing - but not all of them are.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM

I'm thinking cars, motorcycles, and atvs.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 AM
RST

Not one of my 4 sons or my DH would be at all into a quilt like that. Or even any element of it.

They tend to like darker colors, a limited palette, strongly graphic piecing design. Generally speaking, they like solids or fabrics that read as solids as opposed to a strong print.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM

A classic car theme might be good...
Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 AM

Neither of my guys is really into any theme things . . . unless you'd want to count college colors. I recently bought some fabric for a quilt for my DH, which is more or less gender-neutral. He chose green as the primary color and wants it done in a 'woven' Rail Fence pattern. Here's the fabric, I chose.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515761[/ATTACH]
I think it just depends upon the guy's personality, rather than how 'masculine' he is. Some guys are into themes, some aren't.
Attached Thumbnails dhquilt1.jpg  

Last edited by Neesie; 04-03-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Not one of my 4 sons or my DH would be at all into a quilt like that. Or even any element of it.

They tend to like darker colors, a limited palette, strongly graphic piecing design. Generally speaking, they like solids or fabrics that read as solids as opposed to a strong print.
Same here. My 20-year-old son liked a zigzag quilt I made so much, he asked for it. I was surprised because it's mostly pastels, including peaches and pinks. But he liked it, so I gave it to him!

My husband is the same way. He prefers the design of the quilt over the print of the fabric. I'm thankful for this; I've never been much into novelty prints.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM

I can't speak for every man but prints???? Really? I fish but please no fish on my quilt. I photograph but no cameras either. I love cars, work on them, drive them, etc... but no cars.

Deep dark colors, bright rich colors, intense hues, autumn feelings, perhaps a fabric with leaves on in. Large geometric shapes, dark encompassing borders, clean design. That's how you make a quilt that will remain timeless across generations and not just a fad print quilt. tim in san jose
Old 04-03-2015, 01:04 PM

I would ask the person receiving the quilt to look at a few "mug shots" of some different styles and them choose the style then get some color suggestions from them. It also depends on where the person would be using it.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
Gun prints, camo, bear, deer, trout and cabins are what I'm thinking... LOL! And plaid. Lots of plaid...
Hmmm mine would be plants, guns, wood working tools, guitars, old pickup trucks, chickens and goats! LOL

As for a timeless quilt he likes Civil War prints and patriotic quilts. So far I have made him some of those but not yet one made with prints of things he is into. I think he would like a long twin with prints to use as his lap quilt. He also likes William Morris and Shaker style quilts.

My oldest son likes quilts that have patterns that tessalate, like the M.C.Esher style.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2015 at 02:03 AM. Reason: edit is in qote only to match original post edit