Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Lite shrimp ideas, please >

Lite shrimp ideas, please

Lite shrimp ideas, please

Old 04-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Default Lite shrimp ideas, please

I have a couple pounds of beautiful jumbo shrimp (an oxymoron if there ever was one.) All the recipes I have found call for things like 1 cup heavy cream, 2 cups whipping cream or (I am not making this up) 1-1/2 CUPS butter. Seriously! I would like to be able to stand up and walk around after this meal, so all of these are unacceptable.

Does anyone have a tasty shrimp recipe that my HD and I can eat without our arteries exploding while we are still at the table?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 PM

We normally just saute the shrimp in a relatively small amount of butter and/or olive oil and have over rice. Add some spices - usually 'Old Bay' seasoning. Hubs likes to use a cast iron skillet to do the shrimp. I'm good with that or even just melt a small amount of butter and brush, place them on wood or metal skewers then grill. Serve with whatever sides you prefer. Some cajun seasonings? Way easier and 'diet friendly' than some of the recipes you seem to have found. I try to maintain a reasonably low fat diet so grilling is my 'go to' form of cooking.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...mp-recipe.html

Heres one to start. Did you google? There are lots. I like to sauté them in a little olive oil and butter with some garlic and a little white wine. Season to taste.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:21 AM

Check out Weight watchers recipes on weightwatchers.com. There have been some really great ones lately.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM

There's always the trusted and true Shrimp Louie. Atop tossed greens and lots of extras for color, including a quartered boiled egg. Put the precooked shrimp (cooked in boiling water and right back out - just until they turn red ... cool and peel and refrigerate) atop the generous salad and Thousand Island (or your own similar dressing ... my recipe below) dressing to the extent your conscience will allow. Served with some nice crusty bread or homemade seasoned croutons, a nice glass of white wine and it's a great dinner.

(Dressing as we like it: Mayonnaise (not salad dressing), ketchup or chili sauce to proper color and sweetness, garlic powder and black pepper to taste, a couple teaspoons of fresh or bottled lemon juice, and a tablespoon or so of creamed horseradish. Yummy!)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM

I marinade with lime juice, garlic, chilli, dried cumin and dried coriander, spray a pan with one cal spray, fry in the one cal and serve with noodles and salad.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:00 PM

We like this recipe for coconut shrimp (and I don't really like coconut!). They are fried, but if you monitor the temperature and keep it at 350, they don't get greasy. I use eggbeaters instead of an egg.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-shrimp-i/
Old 04-07-2015, 02:35 PM

My Hubby orders the Shrimp Bruchette(sp?) at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Sorry...no recipe and it does include bacon. My all time favorite is simply shrimp cocktail that my SIL serves at the restaurant he manages in KC. (He always fixes it for me, whether it is on the menu or not!)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 AM

Shrimp fried rice. Very yummy.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 AM

Go to Foodnetwork website and select Ina Garten (under chefs). She has a linguine with shrimp scampi that is absolutely delicious.