Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to patch hole in vintage quilt? >

How to patch hole in vintage quilt?

How to patch hole in vintage quilt?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Default How to patch hole in vintage quilt?

I purchased this pretty quilt for $5 at a thrift store. Soaked it and she clesned up pretty well! I bought it thinking i could remove the pretty scalloped border to use on a new quilt because the appliques are pretty much intact. But... Now that she's clean and pretty, i would love to use this on the guest bed. I can repair some of the needier appliques, but there is a hole that goes through all 3 layers-about 5" in diameter. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 01:04 PM

What a beautiful quilt...well worth saving...I`m sure someone here will be able to help you....
Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 PM

Hi Jill....i had the same kind of problem with an antique quilt my Mom had. This hole is close to the applique so it will be delicate. I found a high quality muslin that matched in color the quilt fabric. I carefully machine stitched around the hole first to catch and kind of seal off any loose quilting threads. on a couple of spots i put a dab of fray guard just to be sure. Cut a piece of muslin to cover the back with raw edges folding under and blind stitched to back. Turned it to front - cut a 1/8" thick piece of batting the size of the hole and then covered the front hole with a cut to size piece of muslin (raw edges turned under) and blind stitched it down. Then i quilted just that section...trying to follow the pattern of the previous quilting. It really didn't show all that much, unless you knew exactly where the patch was.
Best of good luck - because that is really a beautiful quilt.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

You have 2 options, either find a cream to try to patch it or create an applique. I would cut a piece of batt to fill in the hole and hand stitch it in place. If you decide on an applique, keep the fabric light coloured as to not over powere the light colours in the quilt. Since the appliqués are flowers and bows, I would try to think of something to go with them. Possiblities would be a water can, bird house etc.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. Either find a cream color solid to match or find something that will look like it belongs. Maybe a dragonfly?? You can then place a few more scattered on the quilt. You are so lucky you found this beautiful quilt. I have a book that goes thru restoration step by step. The name is Quilt Restoration A Practical Guide by Camile Dalphond Cognac. See if your local library can borrow this book from another institution.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Restoration from an expert (not me!)

An appraiser who looked at an old quilt of mine with some holes told me to use tulle. I looked it up just now and found this fine article on restoring quilts. http://www.quilthistory.com/repair.htm
Old 04-17-2015, 05:59 PM

I love the idea of dragonflies or maybe butterflies randomly placed. That way, nothing has to match on the front. This is a neat fabric, if the size is right. Actually, you might could use the whole stamp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Yard-of-Wi...-/361036619307
Another beautiful piece http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-Chal...r /> 28857452 Although the second might overwhelm the faded quality of the original quilt fabric.
Edited to add: this might be good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Ef...item3aa5e9dede

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-17-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:29 AM

Since the hole is not on the applique, but right next to, I would just patch the hole with matching muslin and call it good. Why complicate the repair? By the way, I love the delicate elegance of your quilt.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

The hole is small enough that I would do the work by hand, layer by layer. It is pretty.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

I think if you fix it, it will add character to the quilt. is it dated? good luck with it. It sure is a pretty quilt.