Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Avante 18 and tension issues >

HQ Avante 18 and tension issues

HQ Avante 18 and tension issues

Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 PM

Default HQ Avante 18 and tension issues

I all of a sudden had issues. Took it to the Quilt Shop (HQ Rep).....and she adjusted both tensions.
However, the back look like reg. sewing stitches which is good. The top tension adjusted do not look like the back stitches. (Maybe I should flip the quilt around....LOL).....anyway does anyone own one of the machines? I have tried to adjust the top tension and just can't seen to get it right....
Avante Quilter
Old 04-19-2015, 06:15 PM

Whats wrong with the top side?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I have an Avante. When you say the top doesn't look like the back, exactly what do you mean? Loops? can you post a picture?
This is how I set my tension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Thank you Paper Princess for the very informative video!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 PM

I Never do this, but I know how helpful these sites can be when you are desperate, so.......I have an HQ Avante and have had my share of tension issues. I'm not new to longarming, but have Never had so many problems! Fortunately, I have a very committed dealer who is enormously helpful. I've tried it all and here is what works for me the best.....,There is a Lot of space on that little screw on the bobbin case where you are able to make the bobbin stand in your hand and have the thread come out of the case. So--start from the tight end. This is how I do it---First, load the bobbin into the case making sure the bobbin is turning clockwise in the case. I tighten the screw on the bobbin case until I am unable to pull the thread out when pulling on the tail. Then I loosen the screw ever so slightly while testing the thread. I stop loosening the screw As Soon As the thread pulls through evenly (without bouncing the bobbin case) and the bobbin stays upright on it's edge. If you do this test from the point when the bobbin is loose, you will make this adjustment when the thread is way too loose. Start from the tightest point and then loosen from there--Not from the loosest point and tightening. Once you've got the bobbin adjusted, quilt a practice piece and adjust the top tension so that there are no railroad tracks on top and no eyelashes on the bottom. Basically, you want to adjust your bobbin tension from the tight side down and not the loose side up.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-05-2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS