Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
American Made Brand Fabric >

American Made Brand Fabric

American Made Brand Fabric

Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 AM

Default American Made Brand Fabric

I ordered some American Made brand fabric in red, white and blue for a quilt of valor I am wanting to make. I just received it and I am afraid the blue is going to be too light weight, and it looks from the edges like this could easily have ravely edges. Does anyone have any experience with this fabric line. Would love to use made in America fabric, but I do not want to invest the time and money, already spent, on a project I am going to regret making.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 AM

I've not used that brand, but I have used mixed weights in a quilt. Just use lots and lots of spray starch and press before cutting out your squares. Mine worked out OK. I've washed the quilt a few times and you can't tell the difference in the fabric. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 AM

I bought one yard of purple just to try it out. I do not remember any raveling with it. I seldom pre wash but did with this because it was such a dark color. I don't think it ran much but I honestly do not remember.

I try to use the best fabric I have for a QOV. I may use lesser quality in a charity project. We support many different charities through a group I belong to including local Vets. The Vets get my best (usually bought on sale) but name brand quilting cottons. I buy through Whittles and Thousands Of Bolts. I void Marcus as I have gotten thin fabric from them.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:52 AM

I did a side-by-side comparison of solid fabrics at my local shop a few weeks ago. I was tired of using Kona and other coarse solids with batiks and winding up with a silk and burlap effect. I was hoping Clothworks Americam Made Brand would have a better hand because of the higher (78x74) thread count, but it's not that much softer feeling than Kona or any of the other broadcloths. I didn't purchase any for that reason, but I have been told that it ravels, especially if not prewashed to tighten the weave.

I tried seven brands of solids (AMB included) in comaprison to a bolt of batik and the clear winner was Michael Miller's Cotton Couture Solids. It is a 78 square weave (compared to Kona's 60 square) and has a beautiful hand. While that may not have any relation to your current situation, it may be handy knowledge for the future.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 PM

I was not impressed with the AMB that I have seen(and felt) in JoAnn's. Sorry, really wanted to try it. Price was a little prohibitive too. Is theirs a lesser quality?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:40 PM

I used AMB for a small project. It had very small pieces and I had no problems with raveling. I did some small applique with and without the bonding glue. [ATTACH=CONFIG]517957[/ATTACH] This is one project but I've used it for other projects, too, with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I did a side-by-side comparison of solid fabrics at my local shop a few weeks ago. I was tired of using Kona and other coarse solids with batiks and winding up with a silk and burlap effect. I was hoping Clothworks Americam Made Brand would have a better hand because of the higher (78x74) thread count, but it's not that much softer feeling than Kona or any of the other broadcloths. I didn't purchase any for that reason, but I have been told that it ravels, especially if not prewashed to tighten the weave.

I tried seven brands of solids (AMB included) in comaprison to a bolt of batik and the clear winner was Michael Miller's Cotton Couture Solids. It is a 78 square weave (compared to Kona's 60 square) and has a beautiful hand. While that may not have any relation to your current situation, it may be handy knowledge for the future.
thanks for the info about Michael Miller cotton couture. I got a piece of solid snow colored which I love and unfortunately do not know whose it is. Kona has a much looser weave than mine. Maybe it's MM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Ghostrider...Could you name one or more sources that you use for the Michael Miller Couture fabric line? I'm not too savvy on ordering online and haven't really checked out local quilt shops, but will be checking with them in the future. Thanks for doing the "homework" for us.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by heronlady View Post
Ghostrider...Could you name one or more sources that you use for the Michael Miller Couture fabric line? I'm not too savvy on ordering online and haven't really checked out local quilt shops, but will be checking with them in the future. Thanks for doing the "homework" for us.
Sure thing. The Michael Miller Cotton Couture line is carried in depth by Fat Quarter Shop ($7.99/yd), Fabric (dot) com ($7.98/yd), and Hancocks of Paducah ($6.99/yd) as well as many others. Be aware that if you are used to the weight of Kona Cotton Solids, the Michael Miller line will seem quite a bit thinner. I was in search of a good playmate for batiks, not one for other solids.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:55 PM

I've used Northcott patriotic fabrics for QOV and so far it's been good quality cotton. I too, use the best fabric I can for QOV. But I'm a scrap quilter at heart. Most of my local shops are now carrying patriotic fabrics and colors suitable for the quilts.