Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
GIMQ-Murphys Law Frustrations >

GIMQ-Murphys Law Frustrations

GIMQ-Murphys Law Frustrations

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Default GIMQ-Murphys Law Frustrations

Have you ever had that one quilt that just refused to cooperate? That quilt for me, ladies and gents, has been the Bonnie Hunter Grand Illusion mystery quilt. Don't get me wrong, I have loved the process and BH's posts and directions were superb. It just, DIDNT go for me.

Pictured below is where I threw in the towel for tonight (yes I know I'm behind the times lol!)

Here are some things that happened along the way.
1.) One of the first fabrics I bought bled in the washer and ruined the design and its appeal.
2.) While pressing the first blocks I found that one of my "100% Cotton" fabrics was NOT 100% and almost melted to my iron! (Needless to say I redid those blocks!)
3.) The diamonds were not my friend! Couldnt make those the right side to save my life, after what seemed like 8 billion tries, I called it good enough lol .
4.) Bought an extra 1/4 yd of each, ran out of one fabric anyways.

And finally #5.) Tonight's attempted quilt assembly. Despite triple checking that I had the right amount of each clue, I ran short of a green/white/dark block. This is seen in the picture on the right side of the top row.

SO...this one is going back in the UFO pile until an assorted craft day with the MIL, or until I can work up the ambition to make that one, measly, piece that I am missing.

Sorry for the long post, that's the frustration coming out! (Please note I am out of wine!)
Attached Thumbnails gimq.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 PM
QM
Power Poster

How very frustrating after all your fine work. you have my sympathy.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Power Poster

You also have my sympathy. The blocks look super. Could you just make a smaller quilt? You have done some beautiful work. It would be a shame to let it go. Sorry the wine ran out. Maybe tomorrow it will be better. Best of luck. BrendaK
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 AM

Your pieces look terrific. Could you make a smaller quilt and use the extra pieces on the back or on a matching pillow case. I think a little breathing room will help your process.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 AM

It's a really attractive quilt and It seems a shame not to finish it but that being said I have two half finished quilts that I have put away because of mistakes and because I could see I was in over my head. I hope someday to revisit them and try to finish them but I don't know. You are so close to having all the pieces for this quilt but I understand the frustration. Ever onward.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks great. I love BH quilts but her scrappys are a little confusing for me. And when it comes to the mystery, I get super confused on the pattern. I would be totally frustrated if what I thought was one fabric content and find out it wasn't. Always good to take a break then get back to it after you replenish your wine stash!!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:10 AM

I thought the same thing Brenda said. It is a lot of work and I think it looks great! Can't you make it a smaller quilt than original and be done with it? Someone would love it, it is beautiful.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 AM

Please finish your quilt. It is beautiful and only needs one more piece. Buy another bottle of wine and have another go.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 AM

Get more wine and don't give up; what you've finished looks GREAT!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

leave it for a while buy more wine and try again...