Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
found this about bleeding fabrics >

found this about bleeding fabrics

found this about bleeding fabrics

Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 AM

Default found this about bleeding fabrics

Hello all
May be this was posted before. Even if I do the "search" and the "Archive" there is so much info on this board that this article that I happen to read this morning was new to me.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...V1jvZ5zM0/edit
Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Interesting. I just use color catchers and then I haven't had to worry. I'm not sure about washing a quilt in HOT water.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 AM

That is a very interesting article. I do not prewash, mostly because I HATE ironing large pieces of fabric. I buy yardage, especially if on sale. I have had major problems with some reds bleeding. I am going to have to try this method on a small quilted piece in a bucket to see if it works with a red I have that I know that runs. I'm thinking table topper with a couple of mug rugs. Thanks for finding and posting the link.

edited to add: I always use Color Catchers, but have had quilts run while being dried. I am now thinking I should be washing the quilts until the color catchers are color free before drying, which I do in a dryer on low heat. Comments please?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 AM

I have had a red fabric bleed after 4-5 washings....unfortunately it was after I had put it into a quilt (before I knew to prewash my fabrics)....if I had known, it never would have made into that quilt, nor any other....I now prewash with very hot water and Dawn dish soap until the rinse runs clear....won't take the chance of another bleeder, ever!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM

I had up to 3 or 4 yards of red or even dark green fabrics soak overnight in a large sink and I did it 4 or 5 times (forever it seems) but I never tried it in very hot water. I am using it now and I am still afraid it will bleed. I am kind of becoming paranoïd with those darker red, green fabrics.
I will start using hot water and dawn dish soap

Last edited by helou; 05-05-2015 at 06:26 AM. Reason: adding
Old 05-05-2015, 06:27 AM

I just " test" a snippet of something that I think may bleed in a cup of hot water.......and so far so good, but I tend to stay away from red, navy, dark intense colors......the article, in my opinion, is a bit of overkill....soaking for 12 hours! Maybe if one is dying fabric....which I would never do, nor do I purchase any "hand dyed" fabric.........but we do what we do
Old 05-06-2015, 06:54 AM

I have a red & white table cloth that I made several years ago, it is in the wash all the time, and even after 20 or more washings, it still bleeds, I always use a color catcher when I wash it. I did pre-wash all the fabric before I started the quilt. I find that Blues and Greens also bleed, almost as bad as most Reds. When I pre-wash, I pre-wash in hot water.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 AM

I had a red backing fabric not just bleed but RUN JOYFULLY through the bathwater on an antique quilt top. I had figured a few color catchers and the red would be fine like it always has. As soon as the quilt hit water the red plumed through the water as my heart fell. I did everything in cold water, four different soaks, spin outs, etc.. I finally tried the hot water and Dawn. It's amazing how beautiful the quilt came out. There was a touch of pink in a couple of spots that were there from the first soak. They became much lighter when I followed the "scary" directions of hot water.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Thank you for posting. I have saved the article in case I ever have trouble.
I prewash all my fabrics so- so far, so good.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:16 PM

I'm now in the process of getting the excess dye out of a bright blue batik. It's not being cooperative and my be turned into something for the local pet shelter. Such a gorgeous piece of fabric, but....!