Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June I Spy Swap with a FOOD JAR twist! >

June I Spy Swap with a FOOD JAR twist!

June I Spy Swap with a FOOD JAR twist!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Default June I Spy Swap with a FOOD JAR twist!

June I Spy Swap with Food Jar Twist:
Signups are open until June 15
Swaps need to be in my hands by June 30

It's time to start putting together another I Spy swap for June. Owlvamp is still taking a rest from the swap, so I will be helping her out again this time. Please pay CLOSE ATTENTION to the new cutting and packaging method. It is different than all I Spy swaps previously.

Our theme for the June "twist" (side swap) is food, like you would see in a jar quilt. Several have expressed interest in making jar quilts and/or picnic quilts, so I thought we'd try out the food theme. Anything you would find in a canning jar is fair game! Even fireflies.... Try to find raw food rather than packaged, as you would see on the shelf in a mason jar. Cukes, potatoes, tomatoes, berries... are all great!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take your time cutting and be sure you have correct 5" squares. I will not be taking any squares out of their bags this time, to check the cuts. Last swap I unfortunately had to return bundles of squares that were cut too small or not fussy cut, and I spent hours trimming ones that were cut too big. This time, your name will be on every one of your bags and if your squares are found to be cut wrong, you will be expected to send replacements to whoever received the bad ones, in order to stay in good standing as an I Spy swapper. Who wants to deal with that hassle and extra expense?? No one, so please take the time to cut well and check your squares before you put them in those bags. Lets have all good squares this time.

NEW CUTTING/PACKAGING METHOD:
We will now be sending 10 DIFFERENT fabrics in each bag we swap. All your bags can have the same mixture in them, or different, but you cannot repeat fabrics in any one bag. We will be swapping bag for bag, so there must be 10 different fabrics in each bag. Please put your board name and state on every bag you are swapping.

You may swap a max of 16 bags, because you will get 8 squares per width of fabric, so two of those will give you 16. If you take 10 fabrics and cut two 5" strips x WOF from each, then cross cut into 5" squares, you will have your 16 bags' worth. Or, if you cut only one 5" strip x WOF from each, you will get enough squares to swap 8 bags. If your prints require fussy cutting, you may not get 8 squares per WOF... please be aware of that.

The twists will be a max of 8 bags of 10 different squares.... So you need 10 different foodie fabrics to give you 10 different squares per bag, same as the regular swap.

THE USUAL 'STUFF':
1. Please cut your charms before joining.

2. Try and find new prints you have not sent before or seen in the swap, if at all possible. We all like new stuff! Also, you may not use the same prints in the twist as you used in the regular swap. Twist fabrics should be different from the regular swap fabrics. Send only 100% cotton quilting fabric. Please do not send thin or loosely woven fabrics. If it has to be starched to be acceptable, it's probably not a good candidate for this swap. Please select prints that would be acceptable in a child's quilt. No flowers, lines, stars, geometrics. We need recognizable objects. Send what you would like to receive!

3. THEN, pm me (Sewbizgirl) and tell me you want to join and how many bags you intend to swap in the regular swap and in the twist. The twist is optional. I also need your real name and address. I will respond to you with my mailing address for you to mail your swaps to me.

4. Put all your swap baggies in one big ziplock with your name and mailing address, as well as your board name. That will keep them together in your package and if it happens to get torn open in shipment, your address will be there for the P.O. to return to you. Speaking of "torn open"... those paper flat rate envelopes are the pits. They tear so easily, especially with lumpy contents in them. Do yourself a favor and use something better-- like the Tyvek envelopes or padded flat rate envelopes. You have to order the latter from the post office online, in packages of 10, but they are free. If you do it NOW, you will have your envelopes in time to mail.

5. Postage: I will print and mail your postage online and ship in the padded flat rate envelope. There is no need to send a return address label this time. The online shipping is discounted to $5.70, so that's how much cash you need to enclose in your package. If anyone is nervous about sending cash in the mail, mention that in your pm to me an I will give you my Paypal addy to pay me with, instead.

Remember to send in what you would like to receive back.
Let’s have tons of fun,and of course you have to follow all the basic rules, found here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 05-14-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:13 AM

Can't wait! Here's a little I spy inspiration ... I made this for my first ever craft fair where I will be selling some I Spy quilts and kits for fabric books and matching games.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519743[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 AM

Can't figure out how to edit...so just wanted to add: if you are in the Denver metro, I'd love to meet you at the craft fair...Saturday, June 13, at the Woodlawn Center in Littleton!! My booth is called "Sew It, Sister!" Send me a pm if I should look for you.

Hey, Bonnie - you should come on out!!!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I wish I could, Peg! Good luck. Your I Spy stuff is great!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

UPDATE ON TWIST:

For the twist (foodie) fabrics ONLY, let's change the size of the blocks to 5x7" rectangles. That way we can make the taller, upright jars, like Mason quart jars. So for your twist blocks only, cut 5x7, rather than 5x5. The regular I Spy blocks will still be 5x5...

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 05-15-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Here's some inspiration for a canning jar quilt. These show the taller jars that we will be able to make with the 5x7 twist rectangles. This quilt was made by someone here on the QB and is the prettiest one I have ever seen. Just look at that border!
Attached Thumbnails mason-jar-quilt-011.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 07:54 PM

Looooove that quilt!
Old 05-17-2015, 03:08 PM

I am in for 8 bags of the original swap and I am hoping to find 10 fabrics so I can do the twist.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Great, Jannie! Be sure to pm me with your count and address, once you get your squares cut. Don't forget to cut your twist fabrics 5x7!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM

Do you only want food for the twist? How about bugs, buttons, etc. that can be put in a jar? Before I shop, I need to know.