Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature Thread for LAing >

Signature Thread for LAing

Signature Thread for LAing

Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 AM

Default Signature Thread for LAing

Yesterday at quilt club my girlfriend gave me 3 spools of signature 40wt thread for my LA, if it ever gets here. She said it was too linty for her DSM, so she thought I'd want it for our LA. My question is this, is it too linty for a LA too? Is it a good brand to have? I don't want to use something that won't work out and get frustrated right at the beginning. What brands do yall use with your LAs?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

In my experience, if a thread is linty in a DSM the problem is amplified 10 fold in the LA. It is because of the very high speeds LA run. That said, there is no reason not to try it out. If you find it way too linty, pay it forward and pass on to someone else.

My go to thread for LA is Filtec Glide. A trilobal polyester. Super strong, beautiful colors and zero lint. I also use:
Isacord embroidery thread, Superior So fine and Bottom Line, Metro Embroidery thread and my current favorite Invisifil.

When I am forced to use a cotton I have King Tut, YLI and I have even used Connecting threads. But I really dislike using cotton thread in my LA because of the lint.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 AM

I use either Permacore or Glide. I do have a spool of signature which is all cotton and my experience was that it breaks a lot. I tried to use it when I first got my Gammill and I did get frustrated with it rather quickly. Now that I am more experienced, I probably wouldn't have that much of a problem. Both Permacore & Glide are polyester so they are stronger and would probably work better for you at the beginning.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:15 AM

I've used Signature a lot in my longarm. It works just fine. A little linty, but tolerable. Give it a try.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM

I've used "linty" thread before without any problem. Just make sure you clean out the bobbin area between each bobbin.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I've used "linty" thread before without any problem. Just make sure you clean out the bobbin area between each bobbin.
Not all LA are created equal. I have had a lint blob lodge in my bobbin tension spring mid bobbin so sometimes just making sure to clean out the bobbin area between each bobbin is not enough. Having to rip out several rows of panto due to bad tension because a lint blob lodged in my bobbin spring in the middle of a bobbin has made me gun shy when it comes to linty threads. Granted, ripping stitching on bad tension is a lot easier, it is still a big pain in the patooty. Just putting it out there for a new-bee. I am pretty sure the OP is getting an Innova which is the same machine I have so she will most likely have similar experience.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Yes I am getting an innova
Old 05-29-2015, 07:38 PM

I use Signature, Connecting Threads in my LA all the time with no problems. I do brush out the bobbin area at every bobbin change.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 PM

I use Signature, Connecting Threads cotton in my LA all the time with no problems. I do brush out the bobbin area at every bobbin change. My Nolting is not to particular.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I use Signature, Connecting Threads cotton in my LA all the time with no problems. I do brush out the bobbin area at every bobbin change. My Nolting is not to particular.
Most if not all cotton threads will leave lint. I just always clean out my bobbin/bobbin area after every bobbin, no problem there. I have used Signature with no problems. I like YLI, or my LA does and King Tut the best, but also use several others with no problems. I also use poly in my LA. I think you need to just try it. I am not sure why people are so concerned over the lint if you keep it clean all the time. Just wondering. I know there are odd instances things can happen but that can happen with most any thread at different times.