Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make ironing area?? >

How to make ironing area??

How to make ironing area??

Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Default How to make ironing area??

I have gotten my 4 foot table now, and wanting to fix it so I can iron on it too.
I double folded material, but thought it not hard enough . What have some of you
done to make a good firm top?? Don't have the room to leave ironing board out all the time.
Thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:11 PM

You can buy a piece of plywood to fit the top of the table. Then cover the plywood with cotton batting and a cotton, canvas or that metallic ironing surface fabric, and staple the edges around to the back. If you have to put the ironing center away, just remove the top and fold the table. This makes a really nice ironing set up.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:53 PM

I covered mine with unwashed cotton duck. After I stapled it to the board, I spritzed it with water and it shrunk tight as a drum. I'm happy with it.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 PM

There is a board in the flooring area at Lowes or HD. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I think it goes under some flooring. You can get it in 2 foot square or 2 foot by 4 foot. It's sturdy but much lighter and thinner than plywood.

I made slip covers for my ironing board. The inside is made of towels and the outside is some cotton home dec fabric. I modified a pillowcase pattern for the outside. Jenny from Missouri Star has a video on YouTube that explains the whole process.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:41 AM

I also followed Jenny's tutorial for my pressing area. My sewing area is in the basement and hubby made me an pressing pad that sits on the top of of my dryer. Like Jenny's tute, it is 3 layers - plywood, a towel and a cover. Very simple. I use it every day. I only pull out the ironing board for large pieces of fabric or finished quilt tops.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

I bought a bunch of the 24"x70" June Taylor ironing pads over a decade ago when they were marked down 80% off. I have it on a piece of plywood. You want to make sure it is the correct height so you can raise a table up by using UPC fittings on the legs.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM

My son made me a 24" x 72" ironing surface that fits on my regular ironing board. I stapled 2 layers of cotton batting and the metallic teflon fabric on the board. Then I made a cover with 100% cotton pillow ticking which I can remove and throw in the washer, since I tend to get a little heavy-handed with the spray starch.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Wanted to thank everyone. I did go to M.S. And checked out Jenny. Know what to do now.