Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky Backing Question >

Minky Backing Question

Minky Backing Question

Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Default Minky Backing Question

I need some expert advice. I have made a baby quilt top for my niece and am using minky for the backing, there will be no batting - as they live in Texas. Is it better to use binding or doing the method of sewing right sides together and turning inside out (before quilting)? I read that when quilting with minky you should loosen your tension and lengthen the stitch. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 AM

Block Magazine had a whole article on using minky and quilting in their last issue. It was very informative. Perhaps you have it.

I always use a traditional cotton quilt binding when I use Minky for backing.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I've always quilted then bound the quilts with minkie backing. I've not been happy with the few quilts I did the other's way, the quilting always seems to distort or pucker. Probably just me. But, I've used minkie for backing on probably at least 30 quilts in the past 10 years my family loves minkie!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I am never happy when I use the pillowcase method for a quilt. I can never get it as flat as when I do a regular binding. I am thinking the minky will stretch using the pillowcase method? If you were just going to tie or do bar tacks with the pillowcase method, it should be okay but I wouldn't want to quilt it with the pillowcase method. I have not done a minky backing though so this is just speculation on my part.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:56 PM

I frequently use minky for backing and I treat it just like any other backing and do use batting. I pin baste, quilt on my DSM and use fabric matching or from the top for binding. I don't think the pillow-case method would work for this.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM

I do just like suern3 except I quilt on the LA. I do find I like it better with a thin batting in it.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:13 PM

I wouldn't trust the Minkey not to stretch during a fold over binding (or birthing).

I made a flannel front with Minkey backing, no batting. I quilted all with a walking foot. Binding was flannel.

One thing that helped a lot was that I spray basted it. I normally don't like spray basting, but it was the best option to keep the stretchy Minkey from shifting while quilting.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:24 PM

I would sandwich as normal using spray 505 to hold it still. The spray dissolves out first time washed.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:25 AM

Thank you ladies - I have a cotton fabric for binding, but had to question myself. I will definitely spray baste or Elmer's it, that just works really well for me. Walking foot, of course! Thanks again.