Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must NOT do's for new quilters >

Must NOT do's for new quilters

Must NOT do's for new quilters

Old 06-18-2015, 05:07 PM

Default Must NOT do's for new quilters

I have been an off and on quilter for years. Lately more off than on. Reason being - my sewing room was a complete wreck. I had brought in more and more fabric, batting, threads, ect and they were just piling up!
There was no joy in trying to sew anymore. All this happened in a very short time actually.
SO....I am attempting to correct all that now. I gave away 4 HUGE boxes of fabric that I knew I would never use for anything. Most of it knits and jersey type materials that someone gave to me - that I *might* use someday.
Then I started in trying to sort things out and organize, which I hadn't done from the very start.
I have started rotary cutting all my scraps in different size squares, and the scrap bin just keeps multiplying!
And more disheartening were all the beautiful UFO's that I know will never get finished! Aye Yi Yi!
Hopefully I will be ready to start sewing again in the near future, but I was thinking as I was cutting all those scraps up_________
New quilters - Always ALWAYS cut your scraps up immediately into useable squares, triangles, strips, ect. DO NOT ever throw them in a bag to do later!
What about you? What tips NOT to do would you advise?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 PM

My first thought was, don't save scraps if you really don't intend to use them. I have shipped away a lot of scraps that I was saving to something with "some day". Before you realize it there is a mountain taking up space. I do not advocate getting rid of them if you intend to use them. I would sort by color though, not cut them up unless you have a purpose.

Do not use tools that are worn out. Get rid of tools/blades/needles that wear out. They do wear out and that is okay. i.e.: seam rippers. They wear out - get a new one, they are cheap, or have them sharpened if you have one that can be sharpened. Same with needles - put them in an old medicine bottle and treat yourself to a new needle - you will be so glad you did. And the same with rotary blades - they wear out. Did you know more people are cut by dull knives and such than properly sharpened tools?

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-18-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM

I never intend to cut my scraps in squares. It is too limiting and once they are cut you can't uncut & make them bigger.

If your UFOs are beautiful why don't you finish them?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 PM

I make a lot of scrappy quilts and actually use a lot of squares. I still have my stash to use for when I need bigger pieces.
The UFO's? I start one thing, and then see something else that I'd rather be doing...lol. That is another change I am instituting!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:59 PM

Don't buy incase you need it in either fabric tools or rulers. Many of us have a wide. Selection of each of these and rarely use never use some.
Mountain of I might needs that is the result
Old 06-19-2015, 01:44 AM

Don't let other quilters tell you there is only one way to do something! If you want to try something, try it. If it's a new block, or new technique, you don't have to try it with your good fabric. Try with paper first, try with muslin or scraps that you didn't like anyway just to see if you get the intended result.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

You need to find what works for you. If someone gives you "sewing fabrics", you can either accept it and then pass it onto any resale charity store where it can be "recycle" to someone who can make use of it. I don't precut smaller leftovers of fabric but have a drawer for them. I don't keep anything less than 1.5" in width and they go into the doggie bedding container. It is just finding out what works best for you. Some quilters post on the free offer section on this site giving away scraps for only the cost of shipping. Good Luck with getting organized.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:35 AM

I try to avoid the words "always" and "never" in my quilting and my life philosophy in general. Keep an open mind and a creative spirit, learn by observing, sharing, and doing. There is a lot of information readily available and it is easy to find oneself overwhelmed with conflicting advice.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Another tip--face the fact we are never going to make every pattern in every magazine we see and download for free. Get rid of saved forever patterns. I took a whole shoe box full of patterns to a quilting group and let them go through them. They were glad to get them and i was glad to get rid of them.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I remember as a new quilter the fun was buying new tools and pretty fabric. My don't do is don't listen to others about what not to do! LOL