Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sister-in-law requested quilt >

sister-in-law requested quilt

sister-in-law requested quilt

Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I met a lady in line while waiting for my fabrics to be cut at M&L Fabrics. She was doing a commission quilt for an engineer and he was being very particular with what colors she uses. He took a picture of a quilt in Japan. She says he will pay big bucks but not my thing anymore.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 AM

Anna, I just wanted to say Welcome to the Board.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

When I want to make a quilt for someone I try to find out what colors they like. Then I try to pick a pattern from my bucket list. That way I get to try something new and do it for someone else. One thing I don't do is plan for a certain size. People will get cuddle quilts or couch quilts and sometimes a queen-size IF that is what it turns out to be.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anna Bell View Post
What questions do I ask for this to result in a positive experience? My favorite are "Aunt Anna, I will love any quilt that you make and I will sleep under it." I have lost enthusiasm over most other requests from the self-imposed pressure. I would appreciate input on things that have worked for other quilters.

Thanks!
Anna
HI, Anna - I am also welcoming you to this board!

I am a little confused by what you are asking -

Your heading says "sister-in-law requested quilt" and then you have a "Aunt Anna, - - - "

Is your sister-in-law (SIL) asking for a quilt for her daughter (your niece)?

Or is this quilt requested for your SIL by someone else?

What is the age of the person that the quilt is being requested for/by?

Is this person wanting a gift or is this something the person is willing/expecting to pay for?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:24 AM

My sister asked me to make her a quilt, which I was happy to do, but told her to buy the fabric, as I had no idea what her taste would be. She bought some fabric, which consisted of panels of contemporary cats. I don't like working with panels at the best of times, and the fabric was something I would never have chosen but it was her choice so I made her a quilt, having contributed the backing, sashing and wadding myself. She was absolutely thrilled with the result so in the end I had the satisfaction of knowing that my hard work had paid off. Lesson learned though.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:51 AM

The best luck I had was to tell them I wouldn't make them a quilt, but I would help them make one for themselves. If they wanted to make one they wouldn't ask you, so that usually shuts them down and you have offered something so they don't feel bad for asking, but you will likely never hear any more about making them a quilt.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:06 AM

I have volunteered but never been asked. Although my DD cruises the quilt lab when she is home and points out anything she thinks is looking good and asks 'anybody got dibs on that one?' LOL That is the kind of 'giving quilt' you want to make! Just like you said ' anything you make I will love'. That is the essence of a gift from the heart!

Once you start asking what they like in colors and prints, they may get the idea they are in charge of the design, and all the fun goes out of it. Maybe then you suggest you could get a nice comforter for half the price at Macy's! Or maybe an electric blanket?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 AM

She is asking for a substantial gift. Unless you want to give it, don't make it. I gave a Christmas quilt to a cousin who then hinted she would like another with a specific themed fabric. No offer to find the fabric, pay for anything, etc. I never got around to that one.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:18 AM

Whenever someone hints at a quilt, I tell them to buy me a yard of a focus fabric in colors and that they love. Then I'll make a quilt similar to the fabric. Well, to date, I have never received a yard of fabric. See, it's too much trouble for them to go to the fabric store much less spend "their" money to buy fabric. I don't promise to use their fabric, just the colors.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 AM

Welcome to the board. Pretty much every opinion has been expressed already. It really comes down to whether you are close to your sister-in-law or not. It also depends on how she is going to care for it. My one sister carefully brainwashed every thing I give her. My other sister throws everything into the washer and dryer. The first sister gets as elaborate of quilting as I can manage. The second, tied quilts or meander quilting that's done in a day or two. This is not because I object to sister using washer and dryer, but because the fancy quilting tends to get beat up with repeated beating up.