Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
FREE Online Color & Composition Class >

FREE Online Color & Composition Class

FREE Online Color & Composition Class

Old 07-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Default FREE Online Color & Composition Class

Color has always been my biggest struggle as a quilter. I don't like classes that set out a long list of random rules based on the teacher's personal taste, but I do like to learn about color theory so I can make informed choices when picking colors for my quilts. This is the best lesson, hands down, I've ever seen for learning about basic color theory and it's FREE.

Here's the link for his Understanding Color video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1FK8n7WgY

Please note that the instructor is a 3D Graphics Artist, not a quilter, so there are no examples with fabric. That said, the information is almost all equally applicable to quilting. He talks about the different color schemes (monochromatic, analogous, triadic, complementary, split & double complementary), as well as how saturation & value impact how art looks & "feels". What I really loved was that he talked about the importance of saturation & value of each color within a particular scheme.

The same instructor also put out a video called Understanding Composition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8i7OKbWmRM

In this video he addresses how to achieve balance, structure & a focal element using various techniques. He explains when different techniques are most appropriate -- for example, symmetry can be great for architectural designs, whereas the Golden Ratio works well for landscape/nature designs as each of those reflects their respective real-world counterparts.

I just can't say enough positive things about this teacher! I really learned a lot from his videos.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Thanks for posting these 2 links. It's always nice to review Understanding Color and Composition!!!!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 AM

Thanks for sharing these!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the link. I watched it and hopefully it will "sink in". Thanks! Nora
Old 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM

T.Y. for sharing such helpful info. ;-)
Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Thanks for posting that site .. I have a Granddaughter who can draw animae like crazy but thinks she is terrible at it.. She is very good and I am trying to encourage her
Old 07-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I don't study color. I select colors that look good together to me. I like to have contrast, blends, and one unexpected color. I see new guild members make a face at my fabric choices when they see me cutting but when the quilt is done they are stunned at the results. The members that know me are afraid to ask my opinion. LOL I will say toss the four shades of blue and add some cranberry and pale green.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 PM

Onebyone,
I think every quilter should be able to pick out whatever colors they like for their quilt!

My issue is that I was never ever happy with the end result, but couldn't articulate why. Sometimes it's at least helpful to know what rules you're breaking.

Ironically, though, the method you describe is exactly what is recommended in the video. hee hee
And, for that matter, pretty much what I have picked out for my next quilt -- plus a bit of yellow/orange.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing.