Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fossil fern quilt >

Fossil fern quilt

Fossil fern quilt

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM

Default Fossil fern quilt

I would like to make a special quilt for mine and hubby's bed. I purchased the fossil fern 90 fat quarter bundle. So far so good. But now I can't find a quilt that I feel will highlight all those beautiful batiks. I'm an advanced beginner. I've made about 20 quilts. I know you talented ladies can suggest something. Please.
Jacqui Gates
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

You might find a pattern by going through the free pattern tab at Bonnie Hunter's site. www.quiltville.blogspot.ca
Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan's suggestion. With all those colors, you should look at scrap quilts. Think about a controlled scrappy: purchase yardage of one of the neutrals and use that as the background for all blocks. It will make the quilt look cohesive.
Here's another source of scrap quilt inspiration:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html
Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I just did a Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=scra...attern&imgrc=_
You might also check Benatex's website to see if they have any patterns available using these batiks. So bright and cheerful.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM

I, too, purchased that bundle from Craftsy and so far haven't been able to cut into it! The colors are so beautiful! I've thought about making the Christmas Ribbons quilt from one of Kim Bracketts books. Just can't decide. I'll be anxious to see the suggestions you get here.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 AM

There is a pattern on Craftsy using the Benatex Fossil Fern charms called Candy Squares that looks very fresh and cute - would be quick to make. They are offering kits - it is an Irish chain.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
I, too, purchased that bundle from Craftsy and so far haven't been able to cut into it! The colors are so beautiful! I've thought about making the Christmas Ribbons quilt from one of Kim Bracketts books. Just can't decide. I'll be anxious to see the suggestions you get here.
I know what you mean about cutting into the fabric. I take it out and lay it out and "think" about the quilt.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:46 PM

Just an FYI- fossil fern fabrics are not batiks they a printed in the same traditional manner as other traditional prints. Do note some of these will bleed! I love them but I learned the hard way to pre- wash them.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:35 AM

Don't get in a rush to find a pattern. Keep looking. One day you will stumble across the right pattern. I held on to some material for over two years looking for the right pattern.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 AM

I have the same FQ box of fossil fern fabric. I pull it out and admire it but so far I haven't been able to bring myself to cut them. I will be curious to see what suggestions people have for them.