Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I do binding with Prairie Points on quilt???? >

How do I do binding with Prairie Points on quilt????

How do I do binding with Prairie Points on quilt????

Old 08-09-2015, 06:45 AM

Default How do I do binding with Prairie Points on quilt????

Help! I've recently received 3 embroidered block quilt tops (2 different customers!) that all have Prairie Points on all edges. They want me to long arm quilt them and do the binding. I can figure out how to quilt them but no clue on how to do the binding. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!!! Needless to say, I'm scared to death - I really want to do a great job on these quilts. Again, thanks for your help. Pictures are in my album called Mackay's quilts (you can tell I'm nervous - I think that is the album name!)
Sharon
Old 08-09-2015, 06:48 AM

I thought the prarie points would finish the edge so binding wasn't needed? The purpose of using prarie points. Not understanding will watch this post.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:07 AM

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-003

I found this site that should show you how it is done. Much easier than me trying to explain it. I'm sure you won't have too much trouble. Be sure to charge her accordingly as it does take a bit more effort.
If this doesn't take you to the right place just put "binding a quilt with prairie points with Randa Parrish" in your search bar. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sneed; 08-09-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 AM

I just googled how to bind a quilt that has prairie points and found some interesting things there. One lady has a video showing the rounded corner edge that your pictures show. If the prairie points will be sticking out as the edging, then I think the most common way to finish would be with a facing not a formal binding. BUT if you were going to have the prairie points pointing in towards the middle of the quilt then you could do a regular binding.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I just googled how to bind a quilt that has prairie points and found some interesting things there. One lady has a video showing the rounded corner edge that your pictures show. If the prairie points will be sticking out as the edging, then I think the most common way to finish would be with a facing not a formal binding. BUT if you were going to have the prairie points pointing in towards the middle of the quilt then you could do a regular binding.
Thanks, Thimblebug!! The points are going to be pointing outward but are just lying inside because of seam, I think. I'll definitely go and do the google thing. Wasn't sure what to put in to research but I'll copy what you put in and go from there, with the suggestions from others. Thanks for your response. I'll be putting on another question pretty quick about how to do binding that was already put onto a quilt that I quilted. Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:40 AM

I birthed the quilt I made with prairie points as I wanted the points going outward.
There are several ways shown on google. I would research the options in binding first, so that You know and in case they ask you, then call customer and clarify what they had in mind, and maybe offer suggestions. It will definitely change the look, and very hard to correct, if done "wrong".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 08-09-2015, 07:40 AM

Thanks, Sneed! I'll go to that site right away! You are awesome!! Will be putting another post on soon about doing another binding that was put on quilt before I quilted it. More help will be needed!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks! I will definitely research. Yes, I believe the customer wants the points to be going outward. So I guess I need to learn what you mean by "birthed the quilt". What is that?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

"birthed the quilt"
Sewing all around the layered quilt leaving an opening and then turning it inside out so the edges are finished, like making a pillow top. I've never been able to birth a quilt and not get puckers if machine quilting. They are mostly tied not quilted.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 AM

I'm going to spend some time researching on google but my problem is that the prairie points are already on the quilt top so it's not that I want to add a binding with prairie points. That is what the youtube and google info has been about so far. yes, the prairie points will be facing outward and they have been stitched on to the front so they can be flipped over at the seam to point out. This is not going to be easy!! LOL