Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paperdoll quilt with border question. >

Paperdoll quilt with border question.

Paperdoll quilt with border question.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:15 PM

Default Paperdoll quilt with border question.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527620[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527621[/ATTACH]Hi everyone. Here's a pic of my paperdoll quilt. Please excuse the messiness of it. I've been taking it down and putting it back up on my display wall over and over to try to figure out border placing. The two borders, red and teal are already sewn on. The coral fabric will be on the sides and bottom only so the main part of the quilt frames the bed. Do you think this will look okay?

Thanks for your advice,

Vicki
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Goldengirl; 08-12-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:32 PM

I love your quilt! So nice. I would think it may look nicer with the outside border a little narrower.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Thank you for your input. The red border will frame the top of the mattress and the other borders will drop down. I had planned for the coral border to be about 14 inches on each side to cover the top mattress. Does this look odd?
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I like the large border fabric colour but for some reason I want to break it up. I am thinking white picket fence or similar? Great top!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Oh that quilt is so pretty. It brings back so many memories. I agree with the other ladies, I would go with a narrower trim and the coral color just doesn't do the quilt justice. Please repost a picture when your finished. It's beautiful and I love it.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

It cute and very girly. I think a thinner border would look good and not take away from the quilt
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Such a cute quilt!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:59 PM

I rather like it without the outer border it is such a lively and cute quilt.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM

First your quilt is darling. I have a quilt that has an extra border on the sides and the bottom. When its on the bed its not noticeable. But I have to agree that the coral border doesn't enhance the quilt. Could you do a piano key border instead? Or a different print. IMHO it is the plainness of the last border that make it look like an add on.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 PM

Thank you for the nice comments and helpful replies. I'm thinking through all of them to see what I can do. Here's the original book pattern that I started with. It's for a small quilt, and my daughter wants it to find my granddaughter's full sized bed. Enlarging it was quite a challenge for me. I started with Bonnie and Camille Ruby and Vintage Modern fabrics and added different ones as the dress blocks progressed. The main issue is that I need the quilt to fit her bed, so I will have to have an additional drop of about 14 inches on the sides. The coral fabric is prettier than the picture shows. It is coral and white. It's just hard to figure out how to add additional border fabrics since the main ones are oop. I thought about replicating the rectangle 2x8 blocks in a running border of the varied fabrics I the quilt. I could put them between the blue and coral, or some other way.

I've made sure to repeat each fabric in the quilt more than once (not sure if this is import or not). I also have a Bonnie and Camille red swirl that I could use in some way, but I didn't use it in the quilt. Thank you again for all the great ideas.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg