Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I add more quilting?  Looking for suggestions. >

Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 AM

Default Should I add more quilting? Looking for suggestions.

This is a baby quilt for my newest great great nephew. It measures 42"x52". The blocks are 9" square with 2" sashing. I used white thread for the quilting because there were so many colors and I thought SITD would hide a lot of the quilting. And I like seeing the quilting anyway.

I know I don't need to add any more quilting because the batting says 8" span is needed and I've met that requirement. But, I'm wondering is it too plain or is it enough? It seems like I see quilts with tons of quilting now a days so that might be the trend. But how does it look to you? Should I add more? If I should, I need suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails zacks-quilt-1.jpg   zacks-quilt-2.jpg  
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

With baby/kids quilts it's a balancing act: less quilting is snugglier, but it also allows the batting to bunch or shift from rough use. Personally I would get a rainbow variegated thread and do a line of quilting 1" in from the sashing. I think this would avoid quilting over the applique. I would go edge to edge, over the sashing and thru the blocks (to Great Auntie's quilt we go...) Remember that the 8" measurement is in every direction. If you measure the blocks diagonally, are they less than 8?
Very cute quilt!!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 AM

very cheerful quilt. I would just stay with what you have done since you have met the batting requirement. I have done some tight stippling and find that it makes the quilt stiff and cuddly is called for here.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I don't prefer heavily quilting but did you SITD outlining the oval around with the equipment? You might just echo once around those ovals about about 1/2" or 3/4".
Old 08-14-2015, 06:49 AM

In one of the other threads in main it was stated not to do too much quilting as it makes the quilt go hard/ stiff.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 AM

Lovely quilt.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:06 AM

Looks soft and cuddly to me as is!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 AM

I prefer less quilting rather than more. If I put quilting too close together, I get bunching when I wash the quilt.
I think it's because my blocks are not always the correct measurements... usually some are a bit too small.......and I have to use a 'make it fit' strategy at the seams. This leads to some fullness in some blocks and any too-close quilting makes it rumple up.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Cute quilt! It meets the batting requirements so it is up to you. A large meander would look nice around the center oval or maybe sew from each corner into the center oval, kind of like a big X but with the oval in the center. I would not sew through the appliqué.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM

I don't like heavy quilting. I think it messes up the pattern of the quilt. Yours is perfect for me. Cute quilt.