Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing - why not steam? >

Pressing - why not steam?

Pressing - why not steam?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Default Pressing - why not steam?

I was taught that I shouldn't use steam when pressing quilts and seams. But why not? I've just been looking at a Craftsy course in which the instructor does use steam, and I realised that I have no idea why I don't! This time I did, with very good results.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM

I think it is "supposed" to give the fabric the chance to be stretched....but I also think it is a personal choice. Sometimes I use steam and sometimes I don't.

Dina
Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I spritz my fabric before I rough cut. I then rough cut my squares, starch and then exact cut my pieces. I want all the shrinkage taken care of before I sew my quilt top.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:14 PM

I always use steam for everything. I love the way it makes things look and feel. Just because it 'can' stretch fabric doesn't mean it will if you don't iron like someone hanging wallpaper (i.e., scrubbing every which way). It's good to try doing things new ways just to see what happens.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:14 PM

I found steam to be bad about distorting HST's. For that reason, I quit using steam and just set my iron on the hottest setting...linen. I get a good press and don't have to worry about shrinkage or a block going wonky on me.

Edited to add: The act of just putting the iron on the HST's with steam would actually shrink the fabric and not evenly. I got to practice ripping a lot of blocks and sewing again, with a bigger scant quarter to get the blocks to fit. And, some fabrics shrink more than others.

Second edit: If I have a wrinkle that won't press out, I turn the fabric over and spray a light coating of spray starch on the back side. Then I flip it over and press on the right side. That takes the wrinkle out almost every time. This includes the center fold line.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-14-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM

I use steam and never a problem. I don't push hard at seams, I iron... You can't get wrinkles out or set and iron a nice block without steam. Just my opinion.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

It probably depends on how you handle the iron as well as the quality of the fabric. I sometimes steam, sometimes don't.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

It is a personal choice. Just be careful not move the iron around too much on the fabric. I come down straight, press steam and then lift up.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I was taught that I shouldn't use steam when pressing quilts and seams. But why not?
Did you ask the person who taught you this why you shouldn't? He/she might have a good answer.

Personally, I like to use steam. Along with all the other reasons listed above, steam can be quite beneficial when I'm sewing bias edges and trying to match seams. Makes the fabric behave.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:46 PM

I use steam too, just seems to get the seam to lay flatter. But I do think it can cause some distortion.