Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used the Silhouette Cameo scan & cut machine for cutting quilt blocks? >

Has anyone used the Silhouette Cameo scan & cut machine for cutting quilt blocks?

Has anyone used the Silhouette Cameo scan & cut machine for cutting quilt blocks?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:19 PM

Smile Has anyone used the Silhouette Cameo scan & cut machine for cutting quilt blocks?

I haven't used my Silhouette yet but my goal is to use it for fabrics and not much for paper crafts. I think it could be such a time saver and more exact than rotary cutting. I understand the user can use several layers of fabric (and different colors?) to cut at the same time. I know it will be great for applique but I'd really like to cut the block pieces. Depending on the size of the block more shapes can be cut at a time also.

I would love to hear from someone who has tried this technique.

Suzanne
Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Hi Suzanne,

The Silhouette Cameo and the Scan 'n' Cut are two different machines.

You can only cut one layer of fabric at a time on either machine... the difference between them is with the scan and cut you can scan in where you have placed the fabric on the mat and then place the shape over it on the screen, which means that you can be sure that there is enough fabric.

I have both of the machines and they are both great..... but the scan 'n' cut has an extra feature in that you can tell it to add a seam allowance to the shape you are cutting..... which is good if you want to do needle turn applique.

As for cutting blocks... I would have thought that loading the fabric up and telling the machine what to cut one layer at a time could be time consuming..... I suppose if there were a lot of smaller shapes you could cut as many as fit on the mat at one time.

I hope this helps a little...

Hugs

Caroline
Old 08-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

For cutting accurate shapes for piecing, it's probably better to use an Accuquilt die cutter. All of these can cut multiple layers of fabric, although the number of layers varies with type of fabric (fewer layers with flannel or denim) and type of cutter (up to 10 layers of fabric with the Studio version, up to 6 layers with the Go!). Die cuts tend to be very accurate.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:52 PM

I have both a Sizzix Big Pro and an accuquilt GO for cutting geometric, basic shapes and appliqué pieces. I just cannot justify any other cutter for my quilting adventures.....but others may find other cutters fill their needs....
Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 PM

I use my Silhouette Cameo for applique shapes and my GO! cutter for strips or blocks. I have not tried more than one layer of fabric in the Silhouette......might give it a try
Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 PM

I haven't tried it on my scanncut yet, but I have seen many pieced quilts on the scanncut forums posted cut using built in blocks in the machine
Old 08-30-2015, 03:34 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. I did know the Scan and Cut is the tradename for the Brother machine but I used it with the Silhouette to kind of describe what I was talking about.
I have gone to several Silhouette blogs and Facebook pages and also saw it on Create N Craft shopping program where I bought mine. They claim several layers of cottons can be cut by adjusting the blade. I agree that the size of the pieces would affect how many could be cut at once.

I am excited to try my machine but we have a 10 wk old puppy and I am practically glued to her.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

They are sort of pricey for me because I don't do that much applique. I also like to oversize my blocks so after press and starching, I can trim them down to size like EB does.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:21 AM

Will the "scan and cut" cut wool with paper back adhesive?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 AM

Yes!

Hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by patmadrid View Post
Will the "scan and cut" cut wool with paper back adhesive?