Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 350 >

Bernina 350

Bernina 350

Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Default Bernina 350

Took this machine & it's cheaper sister, the 215, for a test drive today. I know the 350 comes with push button sewing, extra accessories, & dozens of decorative stitches (which aren't super important to me), but I'm still really going back and forth between the two.

I have an old Singer Genie currently & that thing is a workhorse. I love it & really just want needle down, better lighting, more space, a triple stitch & an applique stitch. But the knee lift is nice & so is the push button sewing. I guess I'm just looking for any feedback from actual owners about what you love/hate about your 350 before I make my final decision.

Thanks for any information you can share!

Also, what is a "kick-back function"?

Last edited by Bree123; 08-29-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

i just test drove the b350 ricky tims special edition. the stitches are great, but the extension table is too flimsy/ not supported well, and the knee lifter is too short for my leg to reach it. also, if the bobbin runs out while in the middle of the project, you cannot remove the extension table without taking your project out of the throat. it is possible to change the bobbin without removing the table, but it is not convenient to do so with the table in the way. hth
Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 AM

I have 350pe (I think-it's the middle of the 350's). LOVE it. I don't think I have ever used the push button sewing function. Maybe I need to figure out its benefit! And I am not sure what the "kick back function" is? I have had my machine for 3 yrs, and it has been in for routine maintenance twice. Due fairly soon for its next checkup. I don't find the extension table to be flimsy, and have FMQ'd a queen size quilt. Changing the bobbin is not a huge ordeal for me....it would be great to have bobbin access from the top though. The harp is not huge....if I had the money, I would purchase the machine with the largest harp that I could! That being said, I love my 350 and it has served me well. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 AM

I have an Activa 240, the top of the line which preceded the 3 series. Love it! I can change the bobbin one-handed, under the table, and I don't have any special dexterity. Same solid, powerful, reliable, precise machine as my other Berninas. If it were me, I'd definitely go for the 350 over the 215.

Not sure what a "kick back" feature is. "Back stepping" is reverse, but so precise it goes in the same needle holes as the last several stitches.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Friend is looking at berninas will have to show this to her.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE my older Bernina 1530 Inspiration. I only have had one problem and it was MY FAULT for using can air to get rid of those pesky dust bunnies. She is still my go to quilting machine.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 AM

My 350 is my "backup" machine to use when the big one is in the shop, it goes to classes and is used a lot by my grandkids. It is a workhorse of a machine, and is easy to use. I have no complaints. I would purchase it again!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Have you checked to see if the motor power is the same on the 215 and the 350? I don't know the answer, but I was under the impression there was a difference. I don't have a 350, but I have the 380. Stepped up for a couple of features I wanted. I love the machine. I do a lot of applique and it does a beautiful job. The knee lift works really well for me. My machine is in a cabinet made specifically to fit the machine. I haven't had any problems with the bobbin access. I don't have to take my project off the machine when putting in a new bobbin. The reason I bought the 380 rather than a larger machine is because I wanted a machine I could lift easily, take it for service/cleaning myself, etc. I think the harp is too small to quilt anything larger than a table topper or bed runner.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 AM

I have an older Artista 180 and also had a 1630 back in the day. I love my Berninas and have very few problems with them. The store tries to sell me a new one every time I take my in to have it serviced, but this machine and I have sort of bonded and I'm keeping it for now.