Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced backing >

Pieced backing

Pieced backing

Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 AM

Default Pieced backing

I'm considering making a pieced backing for the first time and am just thinking it through. The front of the quilt is 9in blocks, mostly made from 2in squares, but with some 4-patch blocks in a pattern towards the centre of the quilt. So some rows have one or two 4-patch blocks, some have none. My idea for the back is to echo this design from the front, using pieced blocks in the same positions as the 4-patch blocks on the front, and a solid for the rest. My question is - some rows will be entirely made up of the solid fabric. Should I just use a strip of the fabric for the whole row, or should I cut it into 9in blocks and piece it, as I'll have to do for the rows that include the pieced blocks?

Hope this is clear! It's not as complicated as it sounds...

I'm also concerned about the absolute necessity with a pieced backing of getting the top and backing perfectly centered when I sandwich the quilt. That might be a challenge too, and I'd be grateful for any tips.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a lot of pieced backings mimicking the front often with strips and blocks from the front.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:19 AM

If it's a solid I wouldn't piece it. Just cut the size needed to fit the space. Why make extra work for yourself?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I quilt on my Bernina and I want the least numbers of seams allowance on my backing so I wouldn't use any small 2" squares. You are going to have a hard time lining up the back with the front. I had one client that gave me a backing the same size of her queen size quilt. It took me hours to get them lined up. I did this for a backing of a charity quilt because I wanted to use up the two extra squares.
Attached Thumbnails motorcycle-snowman-back-email.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I quilt on my Bernina and I want the least numbers of seams allowance on my backing so I wouldn't use any small 2" squares.
It looks great!

The 2in squares are already sewn into blocks. As you say, the centering would be the worst bit, as the centre of the quilt would be the middle of one of the pieced blocks. Gulp. Hopefully someone must have a technique for lining up top and backing, but it's going to challenge me, as I have limited space in which to sandwich quilts, and it's difficult to get everything lined up properly even without making more problems for myself...
Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I piece a lot of my backings. Usually with leftovers from the top. However, I quilt on a LA so have no issues with bulk when hitting an area with all those seam allowances. This is something you may wish to also take into consideration. As far as perfectly lining up the back to the front, I have never done it successfully. I am always a bit off. I would never attempt to do a double sided quilt where blocks need to line up exactly, however it has been done with great success. I prefer to not give myself the headache so my pieced backings will be completely different design than the front as in this example.
Here is the front:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529238[/ATTACH]

And this is the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc04829.jpg   dsc04833.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Most pieced backs do not attempt to mimic the front in terms of size of blocks or positioning the blocks so that seams are the same on front and back. The ones that do are usually QAYG, which makes the lining up easy, but that's not what you're attempting. It is more difficult sewing through the additional seams in the back on a DSM, and practically impossible to line up front and back on a longarm. Good luck!

I piece my backs most of the time, but I haven't done what you're describing. A couple of examples -
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...k-t216883.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...in-t23612.html
Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

If you are thinking about having the back design line up with the front, be prepared for some work. It's actually easier to quilt if the seams are not aligned on the front & back. Fewer layers of fabric. If you are planning on having it long armed, be sure and have a discussion with your quilter. They may not be able to accommodate this.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I would use the pieces as large as you can. I like to plan that the fold line does not land on a seam. Anything else is a crap-shoot.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

take a peek at Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson. lovely on both sides.