Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Better than LEDs >

Better than LEDs

Better than LEDs

Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Went into a Mennonite-owned quilt store in/near Harrisonburg, VA, last year where they were using these and I was astounded how brilliant --- as in light intensity and in intelligence!!--- they were! I went home with a brochure about them, which I have now misplaced darn it.

IF I were to ever build a place I'd use these things for sure. The store automatically switched to electric lighting when there was not enough sunlight. COOL!

Jan in VA
Old 09-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

I agree with everyone how good the skylight or solar tubes are. We installed one a couple of years ago and we got the one that has a switch so you can turn off the sunlight or turn it on. It was a bit pricey but glad we got the one with the switch as we do turn it off occasionally, mainly in summer.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 PM

I built a house last year and since, had decided to install a solartube in the hallway from the garage. Builder here two weeks ago and Told me it wasn't worth the expense because going straight up would put it in the valley on the roof and would not provide me light!!! I just think he did not want he job!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
Told me it wasn't worth the expense because going straight up would put it in the valley on the roof and would not provide me light!!! I just think he did not want he job!!!
I agree with you. Mine is on the north side of our roof and doesn't get much direct sunlight at all in the winter, but we still get plenty of bright light during the day.

I would contact SolaTube directly, they will be able to tell you if your contractor is full of hot air or if his concern is valid. We had a SolaTube rep professionally install ours and haven't had a single issue in 9 years.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
...Told me it wasn't worth the expense because going straight up would put it in the valley on the roof and would not provide me light!!! I just think he did not want he job!!!
LOL One of the purposes of a solatube is to be able to place the outside "window" in a location that is not necessarily directly above the inside placement of the skylight. The tube can snake around in the attic and the ceiling part can be placed in just the right spot. I think you're right...he didn't want the job.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:12 AM

The tubes are wonderful and provide so much light!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
We call them 'skylights' here. We have a round tube one in the dining room, a square one in the hallway leading to some bedrooms and one big square one in the end bathroom (it has no exterior windows). They are fantastic, we have never had one leak and they don't seem to contribute to overheating in the summer (it is not a glaring light as the top bit on the roof is generally opaque. Our tube one could do with replacing (it is over 35 years old), but the others are fine.

When I first moved in to this house (they were installed by former owners), for ages I would try and 'turn the light off' in the dining room....the kids thought it was hysterical.
LOL, I was going to google what a solar tube was!! Some new fangled do-dad!! LOL A sky light I understand. Am I getting old????
Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 AM

I've had a number of solar tubes in my homes. I never had any problems in AZ with them heating up my home, but when it's over 100 outside you've still got the AC on. When we had a new roof put on in OR, my DH thought he would have a solar tube put into the hall bathroom. I don't know if it's the paint or the way they placed the tube or even if it's because it's in a smaller area, but it does heat up that bathroom. I find that in the summer (this summer for sure), that I keep the doors closed on the hall bathroom (1 door into the hallway and 1 door into the laundry room). So to answer your question in most cases it doesn't, but it can sometimes.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
LOL, I was going to google what a solar tube was!! Some new fangled do-dad!! LOL A sky light I understand. Am I getting old????
Yes & no. It is a circle shaped skylight, but typically skylights are installed in a narrow space between the ceiling & roof or sometimes with a straight "chase" running in a straight line from roof to top floor ceiling. Solar tubes can be installed up on the roof (circle shaped prismatic "skylight") and then a reflective tube is run down through the attic to the ceiling of virtually any room in the house.

Skylights serve as a beautiful decorative feature to a home, but solar tubes typically provide about the same amount of light & offer much more flexibility in placement. I have seen them run down to a kitchen on the 1st floor of a 2-story house and it's bright enough to do intricate knife work. A skylight could not be installed in that location (with a finished floor above the space).
Old 09-05-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by SandyG View Post
If you live in an area that has a lot of sunshine, you might want to consider a solar tube for lighting your sewing room. I had one installed about a month ago, and the only time I turn on the lamp is at night or on a rainy, cloudy, dark day. There is so much bright light in that room, you want to turn off the light when leaving, but there is no light on. It's all coming from the sun. Amazing!! It takes less than two hours to install, it's about ten inches in diameter, and is flush on the ceiling. Just thought you might be interested in knowing this is out there.
I have a solar tube in one of my bathrooms. When it was first installed I kept trying to shutoff the light also!!! They do give alot of light! No heat that I have ever noticed but I do live in Oregon!