Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Where does this spring belong!! >

Where does this spring belong!!

Where does this spring belong!!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 PM

Default Where does this spring belong!!

Almot a lifetime ago I took my last old girl to be spruced up (a singer 28k) apart for cleaning .......dutifully put all the pieces into seperate containers so I would know which part of the machine they came from. Well life got in the way including job changes and a new Bernina to play with, oh and 2 new grandchildren too and so here I am 12 months later finishing the job. Okay, so tension assembly dismantled, cleaned and put back together no probs, tickled, cleaned and oiled her under carriage no probs, handwheel mechanism cleaned, oiled replaced no probs, shaft cleaned and oiled no probs.......bobbin winder assembly cleaned and......and..... where the heck does this little guy go? Has he jumped into the wrong container...is he a cuckoo? I can't seem to find anywhere on t'net that shows all the components of the bobbin winder mechanism and how it all goes back together. Can anyone identify this little spring for me or send me a link to help me get the mechanism back on and working?
Attached Thumbnails 2015-09-12_15-46-16_195-custom-.jpg   2015-09-12_15-47-01_234-custom-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 PM

It really looks like a bobbin winder spring off a 99k. You have one of those too, don't you?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
... all the components of the bobbin winder mechanism and how it all goes back together. Can anyone identify this little spring for me or send me a link to help me get the mechanism back on and working?
Sounds like somebody forgot to take pictures or like me can't find the pictures or didn't take the right ones. Do you have the illustrated parts list? If not you can find it at http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/27K_28K.pdf I don't know the proper names for all the things (without looking them up) so will try to explain with the part numbers. On page 7 of that pdf it shows complete assemblies on the left side of the page and on the right side are the individual pieces. The spring 08260 curved end wraps around 8259 (guide arm). The spring goes around the sticky-up part that the screw goes in and the straight end goes into the hole in 08258 and then screwed on. if you enlarge the view it is kind of visible on the assemblies shown on the left side of the page.

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
On page 7 of that pdf it shows complete assemblies on the left side of the page and on the right side are the individual pieces.
Good one Janey. I thought she'd said the bobbin winder was working, but it looks like that's what it's for: Either that or her 99k
Old 09-12-2015, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Somewhere in my parts I have a spring like that. I never knew exactly where it goes - I did know they went on a bobbin winder. Thanks Janey.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:11 AM

No Mike, I had only cleaned the parts of the mechanism, I hadn't attached it to the machine as I was perplexed about the spring. Thanks Janey, I had completely forgotten that I had that pdf downloaded in my files it's been so long since I got my treadle and 99s. Once I saw it in the pdf I nutted out how I thought it should fit and it was then oh so nice to have your explanation confirm it. Yay! Errrrrr....springs in the bobbin winders of the 99s'....oh yeah...lookey...so there are.....don't remember having to replace them......don't remember getting them out and cleaning them either...oops!
By the way Mike, do you remember helping me with that bobbin problem with the treadle? She's still sewing beautifully with her one and only original bobbin!!!

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 09-12-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Somewhere in my parts I have a spring like that. I never knew exactly where it goes - I did know they went on a bobbin winder. Thanks Janey.
It seems like one of the bobbin winders I have worked on had/has TWO similar springs. I think I had a hard time figuring out which one went where and which way.

I sure like the illustrated parts pdfs that have the numerical list and the plates/images in the pdf. It sure helped when I refurbished the Lotus 66-1 for my sister. (She learned to sew on that one.) I remember having some screws that I wasn't sure where they went. My enthusiasm got the better of me trying to get it cleaned. I took parts off and put them together to clean and polish. I did take lots of pictures but not labeled nor did I keep parts together with their respective components. Fortunately I had the pdf so I could compare to that and figure out where the screw went.

P.S. Glad to be able to help. I wasn't quite sure how to explain it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-12-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:55 AM

Looks like part of the upper tension mechanism.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:21 AM

It's definitively the bobbin winder finger spring. I remove one from a spare machine, sorry I don't clean it yet, and I took photos.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]530548[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530549[/ATTACH] the spring is visible inside the red circle
Attached Thumbnails dscf4036sc.jpg   dscf4034sc.jpg  
Old 09-12-2015, 02:23 PM

Yup, that she is! All back together now and waiting for DH to take her out to the garage to safely test run her....might have to wait a bit; it's going to be a glorious day here after so much gloomy winter....sunshine and blue sky and the motorbike is ready for a run.......
Thanks again folks.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 09-12-2015 at 02:26 PM.