Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a ? for anyone & hand quilters >

I have a ? for anyone & hand quilters

I have a ? for anyone & hand quilters

Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 AM

Default I have a ? for anyone & hand quilters

I've always used cotton hand quilting threads. I dont have any cotton threads now, but have some polyester threads. What are some opinions on useing poly threads. I've been useing some black poly threads on a quilt, in which I'm 95% done. I have been useing the poly, for a week now. But not feeling comfortable with it. Is it the texture of the thread, I'm useing now, that I don't feel comfortable. Don-isewman
Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I would go with what has always worked. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 AM

What is it about the texture that you don't like? I only use cotton thread myself -- a personal preference, but many quilters swear by polyester thread.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:53 AM

If it's 95% finished, I'd just go ahead and complete it with the same thread! It may be that because you're used to cotton thread, your subconscious mind is trying to find something wrong with the other. Different doesn't always mean bad.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 AM

When I took hand-quilting classes, we used cotton thread made specifically for hand-quilting. It is a little thicker and has a smoother finish. I agree with Neesie.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 AM

I found a spool of cotton hand quilting thread in my stash. Don't know where it came from but decided to use it when I went to hand sew the binding onto the back as it was the perfect color I needed. I really liked the thread as it didn't seem to tangle up as much. And yes it did seem thicker too. Normally I just use the thread I used to quilt it to empty the bobbin. Its usually cotton anyway and I get my bobbin back. I'll even use the leftover bobbin thread to stitch the binding onto the front side of the quilt to help empty it. But I did like how that cotton hand quilting thread played for me.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 AM

When I took my first quilting class the instructor recommended using cotton thread for this reason: fabric used was cotton and the thread would also be cotton and so the same strength as the fabric. Using a poly/cotton thread would be a stronger fiber and could cause it to break the threads of the cotton fabric.
I would agree with Nessie your 95% finished you might as well finish with what you are using, unless you would rather do everything over.
And as writing this it occurs to me if you are making a quilt for a youngster or one you know will be washed often you may want a stronger thread for the quilting so it holds up. (just speculation on my part)
And given the reasoning in our class-if your quilt is mixed fabrics i.e. cottons, poly/cotton and others it wouldn't matter what thread and poly would probably be great in mixed fabrics.
the bottom line its your quilt, do what is best for you.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:26 AM

I like the hand-quilting thread for hand quilting, however I don't use it for binding, since it is a little thicker. It can be more visible and I don't like my binding stitches to show. I use just cotton machine quilting thread for the binding.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 AM

I have always used polyester. I tried cotton once but found it very "linty". I use the same Gutermann's that I use in my machine and have recently tried "Invisifil" for some work when I want the quilting to show but not the thread.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 AM

I think machine quilting and hand quilting are two different things. Various kinds of thread can work well for machine quilting. For hand quilting, my preference is thread made specifically for hand quilting. Since it is coated and stiffer, it threads much easier and glides through the fabric easier with much less tangling and knotting. Hand quilting thread is made in a specific way for a reason. In your situation, I would finish quilting the quilt with the thread you have been using and see how it holds up. Then on the next project, I would try hand quilting thread (which is always cotton) and compare to see what quilts best for you.