Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to >

And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

Old 09-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
Okay, I'm a sucker for gadgets. What is a bobbin tunnel? Also with all of the wonderful inventions that keep appearing on the market for quilters why can't I think of something original, make thousands of dollars and buy fabric?
http://www.shoppersrule.com/pc/SP-BT60/CSBS/index.html

It's a plastic bobbin holder that is rectangular with two "ditches" to hold the bobbins. I like that it seems to fit in a drawer or case better than the round doughnut ones.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 PM

I didn't know what the handi bobs looked like so did a search. There appears to be a variety of styles showing on the search. Have a look the images link may be helpful
good luck.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:22 PM

I use the weekly pill/ medication holders for my bobbins........I have 13 machines, so have to keep the bobbins separated and in the box for each machine (each bobbin pill box has the machine written on tab on the box, so I easily know which box holds the bobbins for each machine...you can get them at the dollar store
Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 AM

I have a set of those handi bobs, but I don't like them. I went to using cones and they don't work on them. Instead, I use a rubberband to thread my bobbins on then wind it around the cone.

Mary
Old 10-01-2015, 03:21 AM

I have 3 different sewing machines, and so it's imperative that I keep the proper bobbin stored with the correct thread. I use this thread storage container, it has enough room with each spool to include the bobbin.

http://www.joann.com/creative-option...sz=54&start=55

It keeps me soooo organized - I love it. No more searching for the corresponding thread, wondering if it's the right manufacturer. (i.e. I have 3 different blacks - aurifil, guterman, and metrosene.) It's hard to tell which thread it is when in the bobbin, so keeping the bobbin with the spool helps stay organized!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:28 AM

Hmmm. I mostly use grey for piecing so I have one little section in a drawer where I keep all my grey filled bobbins. For the ones that I really want to be sure the bobbin matches the top thread, I just put the bobbin and the spool in a little ziplock sandwich bag and toss it into the drawer. I've never been successful at finding the hair elastics that everyone seems to like ... and I've looked as I'd love to have something to stop the unravelling.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am not a sucker for gadgets. I have my bobbins stored on 2 oak wooden holders with a magnet running down the center. YIKES, they are listed as Vintage!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Vint...Ch1O9QFa&dpr=1

I have several of these too. Never thought about them being vintage! LOL I love trying new sewing gadgets. I have sold quiet a few discontinued sewing gadgets on Ebay for more then triple what I paid for them. There are many notion collectors out there especially for discontinued ones. And most are in Japan and will pay outrageous for them.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-01-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 AM

I purchase little plastic boxes in the jewelry craft department at WalMart for $1.47. They have little slide-in dividers in them (4, I think), each section holds about 6 bobbins, I keep bobbins by color in each section and have a section for empty bobbins for just in case. I keep a container for each of the two machines I use on a regular basis. They need very little storage space and are quite handy.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:08 AM

For my main machine I divide my bobbins by thread weight. I use those terry cloth little girl hair tie bands around my bobbins to keep them from unspooling, and just toss them into little decorative bowls I keep near my machine - I have one bowl for my super thin piecing threads (Aurifil & Presencia) and then pretty much everything else goes into the other bowl. Those bobbins are all clear plastic so easy to see what color is what; I never seem to have trouble matching them up.

For my vintage machines with metal bobbins, I don't tend to keep as many of those wound up; those are usually just kept with the machine itself. I have five different types of metal bobbins between 17 different vintage machines, and I might use a spool of thread with any or all of those different bobbins, so storing the bobbins with the thread doesn't make sense for me.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:24 AM

You mean that I'm not supposed to just throw them in a drawer and cut the tangle when I need it?