Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to >

And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

Old 10-01-2015, 06:29 AM

I never realized how lucky I am that my machines can all use the same type of bobbin. Or more correctly two types of bobbins, but one is metal the other plastic, so easy to keep track.

I have a variety of bobbin storage solutions. The tunnel for metal bobbins. Two donuts, one marked cotton the other bottom weight (for embroidery). Janome bobbin cases for my pink and blue bobbins. And lastly my thread stands. When I am working on an embroidery project that requires the bobbin thread to match the top thread (Hoop Sisters), I put the filled bobbins for each colour under the spool of thread on one of my thread stands.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:31 AM

I put a rubber band through the bobbin hole and grab both ends of band and wrap around the thread spool.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I have bobbin boxes and labeled for each machine. Works best for me. I've been using what's left on the bobbins in the drawer of my 401 desk cabinet for bedding for animal shelters. There was a lot about 20, 1/2 full to full bobbins. When done then I refill and put into the appropriate box.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
me. I was always floundering around looking for the bobbin filled with thread to go with the spool of the same color so when I saw the "Handi-Bobs" I thought they would be the answer.

Presently I have five or six bobbins wound with the color of thread that I use most often for piecing and quilting. The bobbins are in those round plastic doughnut like holders. The system I have works, but I am always on the lookout for anything that makes organization easier.

My question is: How is the quilting world do you use the Handi-Bobs? Okay the bobbin fits nice and snug in the cup with the white tube pointing down; but how do you attach it to the spool with the matching thread? There is play in the product which to me means that you can use it on different size spools. I primarily use the big cones or the large spools from Connecting Threads. Then I have the regular spools that we are all use to from the "olden days." Then I have some old spools, cones with openings on one end about the size of a dime.
I'd appreciate any help in using these gizmos. If you ask "Did you save the packaging?" No, how smart would that have been? Usually I do keep the cardboard backing from all of my quilting gadgets, but not in this case. Thanks to all, who after a good laugh, can straighten me out.
I use handi bobs. First you shove the bobbin in. The round holder. Then then tube goes in the spindle hole in the middle. You may need to give it some oomph. If the spool has a different sized hole I don't have a suggestion.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Like others who have already posted that they have multiple types and brands of thread, I want to keep them separate, but still waste time digging for the right bobbin I filled last week or last year. When I have to match thread colors, I often reach for the serger thread. I bought a pkg. of pipe cleaners at the dollar store, ran one through the cone and slipped the bobbin on before twisting the ends together. My serger thread lives in a big plastic tote box, no organization there, just dig. For the aurifil or connecting threads that I usually use for piecing, a snack size ziploc bag to keep thread and bobbin together works for now.

The hard plastic bobbin storage boxes tend to fly out of my hands and get cracked, chipped, or have a tiny plastic hinge broken off. A quilting magazine had a short tip on using golf tees to store thread spools and bobbins together. They failed to mention that the tees are a loose fit and tend to fly out of the spool. That means three items now to crawl around on the floor looking for. Amazon is still trying to sell me golfing equipment because I bought those tees. At a meeting, a door prize goodie bag included something that looked like big pink hairpins, intended to be shoved into the spindle hole on a spool of thread. Tension holds it together, but I don't know what you call them.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
I use handi bobs. First you shove the bobbin in. The round holder. Then then tube goes in the spindle hole in the middle. You may need to give it some oomph. If the spool has a different sized hole I don't have a suggestion.
Like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532196[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails a50eb4e48049e423c8e4c59c576b851b.1500.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 AM

I bought a two-sided plastic pencil box sort of thing at the dollar store. It has several compartments on one side, I think for erasers, paperclips, etc. The other side has one long compartment for pencils and pens, and 2 half size of that.

I keep my empty bobbins in the long compartment. My filled bobbins sorted by color go in the side with several sections. Each section holds 5 or 6 easily. In the half size sections, I keep random bobbins with just one color on each, and I use those up when I am piecing.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 AM

I cut a pipe cleaner in half, stick it through the bottom hole of a spool of thread, up through the top hole, then put it through the bobbin hole and wrap it over. keeps the bobbin with the same color spool of thread. sometimes I wrap a small pony tail holder around the bobbin (get them in the dollar store, a whole bag for $1).
Then I keep them in the organizer shown earlier:
http://www.joann.com/creative-option...sz=54&start=55
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM

If you use the thread spools from Connecting Threads, the Handi-Bobs don't fit very well. I use the Bobbinis instead:

http://www.smartneedle.com/bobbini.html
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 AM

I use a pipe cleaner. Just stick it thru the bottom of the thread spool, up thru the bobbin and twist to hold them together.