rewiring a Singer 15K

Old 10-18-2015, 12:49 PM

Default rewiring a Singer 15K

My nephew just brought me a 15k, but it needs rewiring, it has been hot at some time or another. The wiring is showing threw in several places. Is this something that is doable or should I leave it up to a professional? I know it probably won't be cheap to have it done. What all would I need to do it myself?
Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 PM

It's very doable and is a very common repair. If you can wire a light socket you can wire a sewing machine. If you search here there are several tutorials and explanations of how to do it.
Rodney
Old 10-18-2015, 02:58 PM

I find it a bit of a pussle to track all the wires in and out of motor, light and foot/knee controller. There are wiring schematics some where on the web, I just can't remember where. It makes it easier. The tutorial for rewiring of the potted motor is very helpful, it's the best there is on the web. The external motor with belt is actually a bit easier since all wiring is on the outside.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 AM

When rewiring a machine with or without a schematic I carefully disassemble what I need to disassemble to get to the wires. Then I study the old wiring and make my replacement wiring match. I route it the same, make it the same length and try to use the same type of connectors if possible.

It's not that hard.

To avoid confusion sometimes I'll use a silver Sharpie and mark each wire so I know where it goes to.

Or a digital photo of the original mess to use as guide. Lots of easy ways to do it.

As for wiring diagrams I have quite a few. But they are stored on my computer as pictures. Some years ago I lost all the URLs so I don't know where I got most of them.

Joe
Old 10-19-2015, 03:43 PM

My DH has it rewired, but the light switch is bad. Are these fixable or will I need to find a replacement?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Some of the old light switches can be disassembled, cleaned and repaired. I'd give it try ( been there, done that ) before I dropped the coin for a new one.

Joe
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 AM

I have seen two types of lamps on the old cast iron machines, slight variations on them, but construction wise much the same.

One type is a large lupmy looking lamp with a thick glass lens you pull off when you replace the bulb, it's often the internal copper parts that's been damaged. It has an on/off switch you turn clock wise and if someone has forced it the other way parts likely have broken. I tried to fix this once, but I had never seen the internals of it before, and I eneded up buying a replacement part on the web (used Singer lamp missing the glass lens). If you are handy with tiny parts made of thin copper plates you can make new connector spring. I didn't understand what was wrong until I had all the fully working switch parts in front of me so I never attempted it. I imagine it's not easy to get the parts bended the right way, I assume the original parts where pressed into shaped in a special mould.

The other type lamp; slender and a bit longer, with out any glass lens, just a semi covering shade made of bakelite and a metal lining between the bulb and the bakelite parts. Older 15Ks might have a shiny all metal of the same construciton. This type of lamp tend to be intact and working, since the switch can't be fored the wrong way (it's either left or right position). With this type I would inspect the copper connecting parts and check if they are clean and not broken. There is a metal bit in there that acts like a spring.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-20-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the help, my DH got the light to work, I just plug and unplug it, the switch is real tricky, so I think just unpluging the whole thing in just easier. We got a new wire from the sewing machine man and DH wired the old foot to the new wire. The machine hadn't been used in years, but after lots of cleaning and oiling she works like a charm. I call her "Sara". Thanks again.