Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt wizard >

Quilt wizard

Quilt wizard

Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 AM

As I can't sew a straight line to save my soul I use a foot with a flange on the right side. Think its for top stitching but it works for me. Then with my Viking D1 I program a scant 1/4" and a 1/4" so I can pick whichever one I need for the pattern I'm working on. Helps keep my stitching straighter for sure.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:19 AM

I prefer to use my straight stitch foot. The narrow side is a scant less than a 1/4". It holds the fabric and sews great. I have a Baby Lock machine and sometimes use the quilting 1/4" setting which allows for foot J and uses the left side of the foot for a guide.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:26 PM

I love my 1/4" foot I bought for my Janome and I don't have a problem sewing across the fabric for HSTs. My Janome came with lots of different feet and if I need a "regular" foot with no rail, I have that. I wonder why yours only came with 1 foot...seems kinda weird. I love how easy it is to change feet with the Janome!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
I love my 1/4" foot I bought for my Janome and I don't have a problem sewing across the fabric for HSTs. My Janome came with lots of different feet and if I need a "regular" foot with no rail, I have that. I wonder why yours only came with 1 foot...seems kinda weird. I love how easy it is to change feet with the Janome!
I'd love to know which Janome you have!! One of the things I hate most about mine is how hard it is to change feet. I've always hated the flange on the 1/4" foot but have finally come to terms with it. I was always afraid to tear if off for fear I'd hate that more. One nice thing, though, is I can lift the front of the foot just enough to travel over a seam so the flange doesn't get caught. It took me awhile to figure that out.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:31 AM

My Janome was advertised as a quilters special. I meant to say only one 1/4 inch foot with flange. There were other feet, but not a reg. (flangeless) foot. I did order the wizard, should get it next week.
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 PM

When I'm working on 1/4" seams I love my 1/4" foot with the flange. But when I'm working on HST I am sewing 2 at a time and going across the fabric diagonally--so I switch to my regular sewing foot and mark the seam before I sew. That way I can string piece many at the same time and the fabric does not bunch up.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I'd love to know which Janome you have!! One of the things I hate most about mine is how hard it is to change feet. I've always hated the flange on the 1/4" foot but have finally come to terms with it. I was always afraid to tear if off for fear I'd hate that more. One nice thing, though, is I can lift the front of the foot just enough to travel over a seam so the flange doesn't get caught. It took me awhile to figure that out.
I have the Marie Osmond Quilter's Edition - someone won it in a shop hop and didn't want it so I bought it at half price and it had never been out of the box - totally love the way the feet snap on and off!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:28 AM

I agree with Geri on the BL 1/4"feet. I just do not like the guide, nothing but in my way, and the one without does catch on everything, so I just use my regular foot and change the needle position, but definitely planning to get the little foot on a day when I'm not feeling too cheap
Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 AM

I love my quarter inch foot with flange that came with my Brother. When I'm sewing anything other than 'just' 1/4" seams, I use my Featherweight.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:04 PM

I have both the #37 and #57 for the Bernina and I wouldn't sew without mine!!