Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
401A Singer and 403 series cams by Singer >

401A Singer and 403 series cams by Singer

401A Singer and 403 series cams by Singer

Old 10-23-2015, 06:00 AM

Default 401A Singer and 403 series cams by Singer

DH and I picked up a 401A singer that looks like it was dropped on its top. The handle and the thread spool gone as well as the needle tension bent (now broken off by DH). The 403 series cams were with it and they seem to fit the machine. We are traveling now and I will post pictures later but I need to know if these cams fit this machine. We got the machine with cams for $6.99. DH is interested in fixing this machine. it runs good so far but I have not sewed yet on it. Also we need the sliding needle plate (over the bobbin). Thanks everyone.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
DH and I picked up a 401A singer that looks like it was dropped on its top. The handle and the thread spool gone as well as the needle tension bent (now broken off by DH). The 403 series cams were with it and they seem to fit the machine. We are traveling now and I will post pictures later but I need to know if these cams fit this machine. We got the machine with cams for $6.99. DH is interested in fixing this machine. it runs good so far but I have not sewed yet on it. Also we need the sliding needle plate (over the bobbin). Thanks everyone.

Yes the cams will work. They are common top hat style cams that many Singer models used. For the plate, if you want an original try Ebay. Replacement reproduction plates can be found at Sew Classic or many other sewing parts places. I would be sure the machine is going to sew before buying any thing for it. Use a piece of plastic or cardboard to fabricate a plate so you can test sew with it.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 10-23-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Even with the damage you got a great deal IMO. Singer used the same black tophat shaped cams in their 400, 500 and 600 series slant needle machines. At some point Singer added the white tophat shaped cams in the 700 series Touch & Sews, the difference being a second set of bumps on the cams to control the feed dog movement for a wider variety of stitches. The white ones won't work in your machine but the black ones will.

Looks like Sew-Classic.com carries a top tension assembly that can be made to work. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-T...422403-455.htm
Your other choice would be shop around for a vintage one to fit.
Rodney
Old 10-24-2015, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
...a 401A singer that looks like it was dropped on its top. The handle and the thread spool gone....
Handle?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Handle?

CD in Oklahoma
There are big holes for something. I will post pictures when I get home. We thought it might be a carrying handle