Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I make a huge mistake??? >

Did I make a huge mistake???

Did I make a huge mistake???

Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Default Did I make a huge mistake???

Yesterday in a moment of making a quick decision, I bought a Bernina 830. I did not do any research, or ask very many questions. After I got home I read one review from a Pfaff fan and she had one and hated it! Said it would not quilt worth a darn. I mainly use my machine for making donation quilts for the Children s Hospital here in Oklahoma City. If you have one of these machines, or know anything about them, please don't hesitate to comment. Not that I could do anything about it now!!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 AM

I think you're going to love it. I have been saving to buy one of the Berninas with the stitch regulator. I hang out at our local Bernina shop a lot and haven't seen unhappy Bernina users yet.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Never base a decision on a single review. I read a negative review by someone who didn't like a machine because it didn't fit in the cabinet. Enjoy your machine.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:15 AM

I have several guild friends with that machine - they have had them for a long time and like them a lot. I think you will too!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by justnananettie View Post
Yesterday in a moment of making a quick decision, I bought a Bernina 830. I did not do any research, or ask very many questions.!
I cannot understand why a leading sewing machine company would re-use the same model numbers, instead of creating a unique name and number for the new machine. I believe there are two model 830 Bernina's. One is the older mechanical one that many people would love to own, and then there is the newer 830 that does everything but make your coffee. My guess is that you have bought the bells & whistles newer one.

Some people never bond with a new machine, and some don't try very hard. If you bought this new machine from a dealer, ask about classes and learn everything about it that you can. Discuss your reservations with the seller and let them "prove it". I've even been offered classes at a nominal fee for a machine I'd had for years and bought elsewhere. Meanwhile, sew, sew, sew.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Judge for yourself....you could just as easily have not seen that review and read another one that was positive. I own a 7 series Bernina, and have a friend who is a prolific quilter of a high standard who does so on her Bernina 8 series machine. Every machine is going to be unsuitable for someone, and every machine is going to be perfect for someone else. Wait and see, you may be delighted with your purchase after all. If the worse comes to the worse I guess you could always sell it or trade it so don't stress...clear your head and give the 830 a chance; you may very well end up all smiles! Just give the machine (and you) a fair chance.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 11-01-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add and spelling
Old 11-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

I do not have one, but I have heard pros and cons about a lot of machines including the one that I do have. (Brother SQ9000). Don't go by the words of one person, and see for yourself what your new machine can and cannot do.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I am sure you will be very happy. It is quite normal after purchasing such a large ticket item to have a twinge of buyers remorse. I had a momentary freak out after signing the contract for my longarm and I didn't see any negative reviews! It all worked out and I love my machine. I am sure you will love your Bernina too! I know I love mine but it is a much older machine and not quite as loaded as yours. Like others said, make sure you take advantage of any classes offered so you can get the most out of your new machine and enjoy!
Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Take that one negative review with the proverbial grain of salt. My guess is you'll love it, but do take the machine know-how classes that should be offered free with purchase. You won't be sorry once you see everything that baby can do.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I have an older Bernina 1530 and I am STILL quilting on it. She won me many ribbons in quilt shows. I have had hardly any problems with her since I bought her new out of the box. Check into if any classes are being offered. I wouldn't trust the opinion of someone who posted about a Bernina and she stated she was a Pfaff fan.