Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 830 Question >

Bernina 830 Question

Bernina 830 Question

Old 11-14-2015, 04:29 PM

Default Bernina 830 Question

A couple of weeks ago I asked if I had made a mistake buying the Bernina 830. I received several positive comments, that I was glad to receive. I attended a class yesterday and the woman instructing the class, at the Bernina store, said if I was going to do quilting on that machine I needed the $185.00 walking foot. I asked her why wouldn't the dual feed feature take care of that. She insisted I still needed it! Since the machine comes with a stitch regulator, I don't see why the walking foot is so necessary. So, my question to those that have this machine do I need to spend $185.00 for a walking foot. I keep thinking of all the fabric that $185.00 would buy!!! Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:39 PM

Do some sample work without the expensive foot and see how it goes. You can always purchase it later if you feel it necessary.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

A walking foot is helpful for straight line quilting or putting on binding. I have a B440 and I do use my walking foot for those things but not a necessity in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM

I can't believe that a machine of that price comes without a walking foot!!!!!

hugs

Caroline
Old 11-14-2015, 07:38 PM

The dual feed is supposed to be the same thing as a walking foot. I wouldn't think you'd need it. The test would be to put a square of minky, a square of batting and a square of flannel together (like a quilt sandwich), and sew diagonally from one corner to the other. If it doesn't scoot, you're alright without a walking foot.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 PM

I watched a video posted by Bernina on YouTube , http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PjGEYnK3O_U and it looks like the dual feed system has a single, central top feed foot, whereas the walking foot has larger upper feeds that line up with the feed dogs along the side.

I would definitely see how it works without the walking foot befor I spent $185 on the walking foot. I think the walking foot is likely better, but for me, the dual feed is likely good enough.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 PM

Question

I have an 830 for 5 years and have never needed a walking foot. Why does she think you need it?
Old 11-14-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by justnananettie View Post
A couple of weeks ago I asked if I had made a mistake buying the Bernina 830. I received several positive comments, that I was glad to receive. I attended a class yesterday and the woman instructing the class, at the Bernina store, said if I was going to do quilting on that machine I needed the $185.00 walking foot. I asked her why wouldn't the dual feed feature take care of that. She insisted I still needed it! Since the machine comes with a stitch regulator, I don't see why the walking foot is so necessary. So, my question to those that have this machine do I need to spend $185.00 for a walking foot. I keep thinking of all the fabric that $185.00 would buy!!! Thanks for your help.
If you look back at your original post & go to the photo of the Lone Star quilt I postd....I did the WHOLE quilt, aside from the embroidery, using the duel feed. I never used a walking foot. In fact I prefer the duel feed over the walking foot. I used the 97D foot to piece & the 10D to do the straight line quilting. I can't comment on the Free Motion, as I have yet to even try it.

PS: If you buy the 97D foot it comes with a seam guide...if you have the regular seam guide that has the thumb screw use the thumb screw instead of the screw that comes with the 97D...it makes it easier to attach & remove.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought my Bernina 830 five years ago and it came with a walking foot. It came with the embroidery unit, also. It came with so many things. I bought it at Auntie Ida's in Hermiston, OR. If you could take yours back and order with Auntie Ida's, you would be satisfyed. Even if you don't order the embroidery unit, it comes with the walking foot.

I try not to bring up that I have a Bernina 830. I did when I first started on this site and had lots of negative feedback. I was having trouble and finally found that the size of your needle needs to match the size of your thread. Since I learned that, I've had no trouble at all. Check older posts about Berninas and you will see how people don't care for people who own Berninas. They sure like whoever has a Brother, which is very inexpensive. I don't know what their problem is but I usually keep what I own to myself.

Last edited by jcrow; 11-15-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

When I bought my Bernina 1530, a walking foot did NOT come with it. I don't have dual feed on my older Bernina. Tartan is right, I too use it for when I am quilting straight lines. I finally wore out my walking foot and tried a generic. It didn't work that well. I was finally able to find an older walking foot that had not been used on eBay. Do some shopping on Google and if you feel you need to get one, then I would try to find one selling at a discounted price. But you may find out you don't need one. Good luck. Glad you were able to take a class.