She Shed!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM

Default She Shed!

Howdy y'all ☺

Another post I read today reminded me that I haven't asked some questions I need to ask! LOL! My DH, DD, and I are measuring the pros and cons of possibly moving into his mother's house in the spring, which has sat empty since she went into a nursing home a few years ago. Really the biggest con to the whole idea is that it has such tiny bedrooms. They are so small in fact that not one of them is really big enough to use as a sewing room! 😕

But here is the biggest pro. When my DFIL was still alive, he had a one-car garage built in the back yard to use as a storage building. This building is plenty big enough to use as a sewing room, and in fact will be bigger than any sewing room I've ever had! There is also a one-car garage connected to the house, so we won't need to use the separate one to park a vehicle in.

So here are my questions:

1) I plan to put in Pergo flooring. It already has a concrete floor, so is there anything I need to know as far as padding underneath the flooring to make it more comfortable to stand on?

2) There are wall studs and rafters up, but no drywall or ceiling in it. You can see all the way up to the point of the roof, which is VERY high! Should I just put in a partial ceiling, leaving an opening to easily get to the part of the rafters that have plywood over them to use as storage, or should I put in a complete ceiling with "attic access"? I would think a complete ceiling would give better insulation, but I honestly don't know which is the best way to go.

3) There is no electricity in the garage right now, so that will have to be connected from the house. So since its not going to have a separate electric bill from the house, will it still be possible to set it up with its own breaker box, so I don't have to run back in the house in all types of weather to reset a breaker if one blows?

4) One problem with the garage is that it is built partway up a slight hill in the back yard. At times when it rains really, really hard, water will leak into the back of it! I'm thinking about digging a trench around the back and down the sides and lining it with rock to direct excess water away from the back of the building. Will this work, or do I need to do something different?

5) The garage currently has no windows in it. It will definitely need windows, if for no other reason than that I will need a window AC in it during warm weather. How many windows should I put in? I'm thinking maybe one on each wall, but I don't want to go overboard or put in too few. And after living in a trailer for 21 years, I DEFINITELY want windowsills so I can put a few potted plants in there, just so long as they're not over fabric or machines! Is there a particular type of window that is better to use?

6) What type of heating system should I put in for the winter months? Would a portable heater like you can buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart do the trick, or should I go with something built in?

7) I'm pretty sure this garage will be big enough that in addition to having plenty of room for sewing, I should be able to set aside a space for working on the machines I've acquired that need cleaning and some repairs. If I have the room to do this, should I partition off that section to keep dirt/rust/grunge from floating over to my fabric, sewing surfaces, and clean machines that I use?

8) I believe this is my last question, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. LOL! Like any other garage, it has a roll-up door on it. My biggest concern about this is that it takes up about 2/3 of the wall space on that side, whereas a regular door to one side would only take up maybe 10% of it. But I also wonder about how well I would be able to insulate the door that's on it now. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just so y'all know, other than framing and installing the windows (which I have no idea how to do) and having an expert run the electricity, I plan to do all of the work myself. I will be hanging the drywall, painting, and laying the flooring myself! If we make the move and no longer have to pay rent, I will have approximately $700/month to get this done with. Hopefully it won't take too awfully long to get it done!! Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice! 😃

Donna
Old 11-24-2015, 11:40 AM

Your local Home improvement store or Lumber yard should answer a lot of your question about #1,4,5
#2- I am a great believer in the more storage the better, if you will need to keep the items in there at a even temp I would not close it all the way in. Lets the air circulate too.
#3 #6- Check with n electrician, He will know the regulations in your area. I would not go with a room heated, too easy knock over.
#7 I would partition off a work area, even if I was just a curtain you could open after you finished the dirty part.
#8 Is there another door in to the building? If no get rid of the rolling door, fame in the hole with a door in it, you don't want to open that rolling door insulated or not, you will loose any heat or cooling you have in there every time you open the rolling door. If there is regular walk in door already in the building you can just build a wall inside. in front of the rolling door, insulate it. From the outside it would look like a garage door. Make sure you lock the door, you don't want someone coming along and opening it. Sounds like a fun project. Have fun with it.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM

Hi Donna
To start I would put a breaker box in the room. And put a electric base board heater in there .The small ones from Walmart will not heat a room . How big is the room any how ?
But the first thing you have to look at is if the main panel has room for you to ad another line and and do you have the amps on the panel. If not then you are looking at some money.
Up here older homes have 60 amp so it,s not very much.
You probly should have at lest 100 amp. Just look at your panel and it will tell you if it is 60 or 100 amp.
Ad up all the things you want to run with hydro like the lights A/C heater and that will give you a idea of how many amps you will need .
Are you going to hang the line from the house or bury it?
Good luck
Tom
Old 11-24-2015, 11:51 AM

I would not put in any dividing walls. I keep the space open for more room and once you are in there you might change things around till you find what u like. I would put in a ceiling and insulate everything . I would take out the big door and put in a regular door. I would put window in on 3 sides. I would take the back wall and make it one sold cupboard with sliding doors and shelves . for storage of all types. I don't know how cold it gets in KY but here in wi. we would insulate the floor some how to. and have a built in heater. Boy I like spending your money lol. good luck and have fun.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:27 PM

My niece put an addition onto her house and no way to put in heat/air conditioning from the main part of the house, so she got one of those units like is in a motel room - that is a heater and an air conditioner. She got a rebate from the local electric company. She only used it when somebody was staying in the new addition and said it did a really good job. But, you would have to have your new building wired for something that big. HTH
Old 11-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Be sure to insulate it well - it really pays off.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 PM

#5-6 - New! Two units in one, air conditioning and heat, ductless! Here is an example:

https://www.goductless.com/Mitsubish..._yYBoC2_zw_wcB
Old 11-24-2015, 05:55 PM

For flooring, ask Lowes about Smartcore, unaffected by moisture, and Home Depot about Allure. I believe I would lay down a moisture barrier first. I would insulate the heck out of it. It keeps it cool in summer and warm in winter. I would put the windows on the east, west and south for the best light and cross air. I would have a full wall of storage, and then again, storage around the windows too. The more, the better. Make yourself a design wall area and a quilt hanging area, a closet type for hanging up those that are waiting to be quilted. I am in the same boat you are, but I am hoping to move into a much bigger house in the next year. My sewing area is going to be large, large.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 AM

About water problem....hubby dug a short trench around yard and laid pvc pipes in it and every so many feet has a drain top attached to it so water is reverted out to somewhere else. This may help a lot but not completely?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 AM

Lots of questions. You are probably going to need to French drain to keep the water out. You need to remove the large door they do not insulate very well and you will loose a lot of heat. You will need to check the box at the house and regulations in your area. You will probably need to conform to building codes if putting in power and will need a permit. Better to save up a few months and have that done. You need insulation and I recommend on a cement floor to use the insolating layer under the flooring and you will loose a ton of heat there. I would put a lower ceiling with some storage above but will still allow you to heat at a more nominal cost. Trust me I heat an area like this for my sewing room and it ain't cheap. We wired in in wall heaters when we put in our insulation and drywall.

I would have a contractor give you some bids so you have a realistic idea on how much this will cost and what the true work actually is. Also what permits will be required