Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines >

Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines

Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines

Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 AM

Someone asked me the other day (she's only an acquaintance) in a FB message if I'd make a quilt for a friend of hers who wanted it fir his granddaughter. Queen size. By Christmas.

After I read the request and wiped the coffee off my screen from coughing it out, I wrote back. "It'd be $1300 and not this Christmas . Maybe next." She messaged him and got back to me. "He asked if that figure was a typo or did I mean $130 ?

Nope, 1300, I restated. Waited for his/ her reply. "Okay, he says he can't pay more than $200 so he'll pass."

BTW I borrowed that figure from someone on here. It's scary high enough to drive away the requestors. and it educates them in the value of time and materials. We quilted have to value our skilled labor. So far I've never quilted for $$ and doubt I ever will.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:16 AM
RST

When people ask me to make them a quilt or offer to "buy/commission " one, I counter with an offer to teach them to quilt. If I really like the person, I will even offer to do the FMQ step in order to help them get past a step that can be a barrier to beginners. I figure I can always use new quilting buddies, but I really have no use for customers.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Once someone asked me if I would make them a quilt and I said no, that I do not sew well enough. I took home ec in HS but didn't take it beyond. I learn to do what I want to make and not what someone else wants. Most of my quilts are made for my family and a few friends. There are too many colors that are hard for me to work with so it has to be a labor of love, not it has to be done. And I did have a person ask if I could make a quilt that was heavy and I said he would be better off talking to someone with an industrial machine, which I do not have. It's hard to say no but all too often when I don't I live to regret it.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:32 PM

For some reason, it really offends me when I make something for someone and they give it away. It took me a long time to get over that. It was upsetting me too much.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:43 PM

Usually, once you quote a price just for the materials, they back off. If not, quote a labor charge equal to "minimum wage" and that should make them run away.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Stand in front of a mirror and practice your "shocked" face. Then you don't have to say a word.
Otherwise, follow HettyB's advice about charging for experience.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

tartan, I agree with you. When they see the price, they back off completely. All they ned to see is the price of good thread and needles and fabric and they run for the hills. Yes, I have them buy needles, they are expendsive and I need them when they break or get dull.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:32 PM

I have been in the situation, where I said "Mom's is a gift, but it's such a lot of work I would have to charge anyone else $xxx, Cousin." MIL insisted on paying me the same!!! (AND gave it back to me in her will when she died.)
If I initiate a project, it is a gift. If someone asks me to make something, at the very least we'll go shopping together and let her buy the materials. One friend even told me to pick out a yard of something for myself, on her.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

I just say that I have too many quilts to make for charity.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would make up a supply list and say, here are the supplies needed for your _______. You purchase the supplies and I will begin working on it.

Exactly. Why wouldn't one spell out the actual cost for supplies? How one handles time and assembly is one thing but why are a lot of quilters willing to foot the bill for the supplies? It is like handing a few hundred dollars to the person requesting a quilt, etc. I don't understand this mentality. I can't afford to front the investment of purchasing supplies.

sandy