Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines >

Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines

Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines

Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would make up a supply list and say, here are the supplies needed for your _______. You purchase the supplies and I will begin working on it.

Exactly. Why wouldn't one spell out the actual cost for supplies? How one handles time and assembly is one thing but why are a lot of quilters willing to foot the bill for the supplies? It is like handing a few hundred dollars to the person requesting a quilt, etc. I don't understand this mentality. I can't afford to front the investment of purchasing supplies.

so....i start with....."I make $20.00 an hour. A queen size takes 40-50 hours to piece. ...if they are still listening,..add $300.00 for the fabric, another $200-300 for finishing ( batting, quilting services.) ...... People back away at 40-50 HOURS of time! Someone once admired my large purse and asked if I quilted for others. I smiled and told her that I had 8 hours in my bag. No further conversation as she covered her eyes and waved goodbye. We enjoyed her reaction..she is an acquantance. Good natured...she got my drift!

sandy
Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

I have asked my family favorite colors and different other questions. I never tell them what I'm going to do. A couple people have asked if I "took orders" and how much do I charge. I charge nothing because I don't take orders. My neighbor was going to give her former DIL a beautiful quilt. She critiqued it right there in front of her. I was standing right there. Neighbor took it back and exDIL never saw it again. She does beautiful work! Like I said exDIL. I just don't want to be obligated.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:35 PM

I don't like obligations either. Sometimes I feel like making and giving a gift quilt just because the feeling struck me about that person or that situation. Not everyone in my family or random people I know or every new baby gets a quilt, so it's special when someone gets one. Only once did someone offer to pay when I mentioned that I was making them a quilt for their newly decorated bedroom. In that case I accepted $ to cover the cost of the fabric and batting. The labor was a gift of love. Once in a while someone will ask for a bed size quilt (like my sister!) and I said I'd love to make one for them but I will do it on my own schedule and can't promise when or if it would be finished. My sister is still waiting because that was a couple years ago.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

I have said "no" to everyone who asks. It isn't hard. I say it nicely and they don't push back. I do take small requests from my best friend because she is good to me in other ways. She likes me to make quilted bags for her because she is large and I can make the straps long enough. She doesn't ask often. I've only made her 3. I have made quilts for certain people and so far they have been appreciated as far as I know. People have no idea what goes into making a quilt, even if they pay for materials.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:17 PM

I quilt and sew totally for my pleasure and have never taken in a job. Jobs are no fun for me. I have had people ask but it doesn't get far because when I laugh and say I have too much to do they get the point. I am slowly gifting quilts to my kids and grand kids and make them what I want to, I also know what they like. I think it is rude for people to ask you to do something for them unless you made the offer first. Just because you like doing something does not mean that you want to drop everything you are doing to make a couple of bucks by doing work for them.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 PM

Quilting Cat has it right--when it's your idea to make something for someone, that is a gift. When it's requested, then it isn't--no matter how well you might know them! When people ask me, whether it's someone I know well or not, I always first put the price for supplies right out at first--even if it means saying the fabric is $10 (or whatever you pay in UK)yard and the backing is $xx per yard, and the bat is $$ and then there's thread and needles, etc.
And be able to give an estimate of yardage needed. If that doesn't scare them off, then include your labor. If they still want the job done, get a deposit and put it in writing for both of you.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 PM

Usually I say no and explain the time and cost involved, and for most people, it ends there. But for the people who refuse to take no for an answer and insist, cajole, wheedle, and generally try to guilt me into making them a quilt for $200, I'm seriously considering taking the money, buying a quilt from the department store, and giving it to them.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Seems it's a hard thing to get good at saying "no." But it can come in very handy (and probably better for us mentally). I don't feel any of us quilters need to launch into the various reasons why the answer to making something for them is a "no." If we had wanted to make quilts for others, we would hang out a shingle advertising that we do. Then there is no question that they would be expected to pay for the item plus the labor involved.

Changing the subject slightly but I experienced two different customers in the last month who call for a serviceman and expecting them to get their job done in "x" amount of time. (Really???) How is it that someone who isn't a trained tech think they have a clue how long it will take a professional? Jeez! In both cases, these customers were way off in their guess. Imagine that.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:00 PM

I tell people I'm flattered that they ask, but I make and distribute quilts only for my pleasure and relaxation, not for hire. If that doesn't get the message across, then I invite them to the LQS for a shopping trip to select fabrics. Once they begin to add up the cost that is usually the end of the discussion. If there are really determined and the cost of supplies is no obstacle, only then do I bring up the cost of my time... nobody has ever continued to pursue the issue past that point. Once the figure is approaching many hundreds of dollars they give up.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:31 AM

I, also, refer people who ask to others I know of who quilt for profit. I have found, the hard way, that when I turn a hobby into a business it no longer is enjoyable. I hate the pressure of having to finish something.
I agree with Szooze 2978 about gifts. Once you give a gift, you have so say as to what happens with that gift, however, you do have the ability no to spend your time making any more such gifts for that person. As for the lady in her church, I would still make a quilt for the lady, but her quilt would be the very last one on my list.

Last edited by paoberle; 12-16-2015 at 04:34 AM.