Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting >

Fusible batting

Fusible batting

Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 AM

Default Fusible batting

Could someone explain the purpose of fusible batting? Have you used it and if so, what do you think? Does it replace having to pin, spray or baste your quilt? I understand that it would be useful for small projects but would it work the same way for larger quilts?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:47 AM

I have used it in larger projects and it has been successful. I used Hobbs 80/20 fusible. It takes some care in getting the sandwiching done. I used a few safety pins to stabilize the project and worked from the center out to the edges and it worked nicely. I stitched around the perimeter of the quilt to keep the edges from pulling apart with all the handling. The bond is adequate but it will pull apart-which is a good thing-in case you get a bubble. And, it seems to wash out completely when the finished product is washed and blocked. I personally like it. I do not like polyester batting so I cannot give an objective opinion about that fusible.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:04 AM

Does all the newer fusible wash out?

I've used it for clothing. Sweatshirts and jackets. The older fusible seems to have stayed glued regardless of how many washings. It was batted down with the Pfaff version of walking foot stitching, couching, and almost any other decorative technique I felt like trying. Most of the backgrounds were plain black, so the fancy stuff didn't look that bad.

I've found a jacket pattern I like while I don't mind some quilting on it, (SITD type), I don't want it looking like I made a quilt and cut the jacket out. Nor do I think I want all the couching and other decorations. I want to see the fabric. The more air spaces you have seem to trap warmth better.

I dislike Bamboo. Cotton/Poly, cotton or poly are OK. No wool, either. Anything I make gets tossed in the wash like old work clothes. I use fabric that will work that way with NO special care. Stuff has lasted for over 20 years, so the method works.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:21 AM

i had tried to use it for my sons quilt thinking it would save me from some smelly, messy spray basting. it did not stick well at all and i ended up having to pin.
i kept hearing such mixed experiences with it so i decided to try again. the first quilt that did not stick was made with unwashed precut fabrics. future projects have been smaller but have all been done with pre-washed fabrics and have stayed together well enough to be quilted. not as good as my spray but pretty good and all of them have left no sign of any stiffness or smell from the fusible after being washed.
i would not use it on a full sized quilt without a few pins. just in case.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I had trouble getting the fusible batting to unfold from the package. It stuck to itself. The only way I baste is with Elmer's School Glue. I won't do any other way and I've tried them all.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:38 AM

I was thinking of using Quilter's Dream fusible batting on a 60x90 quilt and plan on quilting on my DSM. Should I try it?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:33 AM

I have tried it on smaller wall hanger stuff and it worked fine. I used it enough to stick to my spray adhesives. The idea of having to iron a larger quilt top it is not appealing to me.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 AM

I like the Hobbes very much for smaller (up to crib size) projects but think it would be unwieldy for big quilts.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I have never tried it before. Just worry that I might have wrinkles on the back. I will just stick with using my pins.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM

I used one (Fusiboo I think) for a smaller quilt and it worked fine, but by the time I was done ironing it on both sides to get it to fuse to both top and backing I figured it didn't save any time over using pins. The only advantage I could see was that I didn't have to take pins out as I quilted. I'm going to try spray basting my next quilt using Patsy Thompson's method of hanging the backing on a wall, spraying, applying batting and then spraying the top and applying that. I've always used pins, but I'm thinking that my aging back would appreciate using a method that didn't require lots of bending and reaching.

Rob