Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-19-2016, 04:05 AM

Well, I made pretty good progress this weekend. I layered and basted two tops, so I can get on to quilting. Found backing for one in my deep stash, which I had bought for another purpose, but which works just fine for the back. Why not use it, because the other project didn't get off the ground! I could have sandwiched more, but ran out of batting. Like having it on hand when it's time to baste.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:20 AM

Phranny, Toot, Toot! Equigle5, Toot, Toot! Congratulations to both of you for wonderful UFO finishes. Phranny, love those log cabin quilts, especially the log cabins in the centers of each. Equigle, do you have a pic with the finished binding? We'd enjoy seeing it.

That's 3 more off the UFO stacks that abound here.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 AM

Sounds like a productive weekend, QltrSue.

I've finished the HQ on mine. Binding next. I've got so many to finish, I will have to stock up on batting. Question for those of you in the know about hand tying a quilt top. I'd never really considered it before but I've got a scrappy one 60 inches square that would look really nice hand tied. The blocks are 12 inches and would lend themselves to being tied about 3-4 inches apart. I'd like it to be a bit full and warm and that overrides the need for ease of tying. Any suggestions on what might be best for the batting?

Keep those UFO finishes coming!
Originally Posted by QltrSue View Post
Well, I made pretty good progress this weekend. I layered and basted two tops, so I can get on to quilting. Found backing for one in my deep stash, which I had bought for another purpose, but which works just fine for the back. Why not use it, because the other project didn't get off the ground! I could have sandwiched more, but ran out of batting. Like having it on hand when it's time to baste.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 AM

You all are keeping me motivated. Working on the last six blocks. Finished pinning rows 1 and 2 together and have gotten two of them sewn and ironed. I'm so slow. Love the log cabins with the cabins in the center. And the square pieced border. Those quilts really looked good put together.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Got the binding on my HQ UFO....should have it done by tonight...off to work I go...
Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Love all the finished ufo's. I have started on one of mine. It is a qayg and all the blocks are finished, am binding them together now. When I get at least half finished I will post a picture. Right now I have completed one row which consists of seven blocks which are 12" finished. It is for a queen size bed.
Thank you all for this thread, without it I'm sure that it would still be hidden in the ufo pile.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM

Wonderful, Sunrise. Am looking forward your in-progress pic.
Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
Love all the finished ufo's. I have started on one of mine. It is a qayg and all the blocks are finished, am binding them together now. When I get at least half finished I will post a picture. Right now I have completed one row which consists of seven blocks which are 12" finished. It is for a queen size bed.
Thank you all for this thread, without it I'm sure that it would still be hidden in the ufo pile.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I finally got the border on my mystery quilt, and while I had black thread on the machine decided to grab one of my UFO's and get some work done.
A woman after my own heart! That's exactly how I picked my current UFO to work on. Bordered Allietare last night, and pulled out my scrappy swoon, which needs the same black thread.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Janice McC: re: batting for tying. They used to sell a poly batting that was called Extra Loft that was great for tied quilts. Used it for a family room quilt that the kids used to fight over. I don't know if they make it any more, but you might consider using two batts, one on top of the other and tied together as one. I had a quilting friend who did this for her daughter who wanted a warm, very puffy comforter -type quilt. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 PM

VickiM - What an accomplishment, 4 quilts finished. I feel good when I get just one done. Congradulations.
Marybaby - What a beautiful cat - opps mean quilt.
Phranny - I love your Log Cabin. I especially like the blocks with the cabin in them. What a great idea.

To MadQuilter and our fearless leaders, looks like you have a lot of help from your four legged friends. My kitty got upset with me this weekend because I took the UFO quilt and table runner I had in the basket next to my machine up to the cutting table to trim so I could serge and bind. She really didn't like the fact that I stole her bed. Well I trimmed the quilts and back into the basket they went. She was happy to have her bed back. What is she going to do when I remove them permanently. These are still two that I hope to get off the UFO list this month.

Made progress on my king UFO. I needed 13 more blocks, so I got those all cut and pieced this weekend, and I put the binding on two wall hangings. I do feel like I accomplished a lot.