Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Years Resolutions .... does anyone really keep them? >

New Years Resolutions .... does anyone really keep them?

New Years Resolutions .... does anyone really keep them?

Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Default New Years Resolutions .... does anyone really keep them?

I've made one NY resolution. That is to resist the urge, temptation, craving, wants and desires to buy any more sewing machines until I get all my current sewing machine projects finished. UH Huh ..... right.

Of course this doesn't count if someone gifts me a machine or I find it on the curb or in the bin, only buying it.

And if you're in the area near NE IN and you hear whining weeping and moaning it will me trying to keep my NY resolution.

Joe
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Banned

I pretty much have the same resolution, no more machines until I get my new trailer in and shop built so I have room to store, service and set up the machines I want to keep. Also to get rid of all the machines that belong to other people, or don't float my boat any longer, or never did in the first place.(Where in the he** did these Singer Scholastic machines come from?)

Cari
Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't make New Year's resolutions. I do try to set general goals to strive toward but don't beat myself up if they don't happen right away.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:53 PM

I am going to try to complete some UFO's that I started in 2015, and loose some weight, and get my sewing collection some what organized.

I do have a goal to NOT fill the house up with machines for the third time! DH agrees, and he's going to try hard to resist too.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't make New Year's resolutions. I do try to set general goals to strive toward but don't beat myself up if they don't happen right away.
This is the first one I've made in decades. Never kept any of the previous ones but this one I'm gonna work at. I've still got a ton of machines in the storage locker back in IL that must be brought back here.
The problem is, I want them here but I don't want to do the driving and moving part ( 800 mile round trip) .

And like Cari I've got a bunch I want to get rehomed for what ever reason. I've got the ones I really like to use set aside and my collecting direction is towards the old WHITE made machines with the big hand wheels that rotate backwards from Singer. Those and SEWMOR machines.

Joe
Old 01-02-2016, 02:40 AM

my resolution is to build the sail boat that I bought the machine to sew sails with for.....
we shall see how that works out.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
my resolution is to build the sail boat that I bought the machine to sew sails with for.....
we shall see how that works out.
There is a Marine I know from another forum who built a sail boat. When the discussion of sail material came up he said he was not using canvas, but was using some kind of synthetic or plastic material, I forget exactly what. No idea what or how he sewed them with.

What kind of sail boat are you considering? And how many sails will it have?

Joe
Old 01-02-2016, 04:57 AM

Good luck with that, Joe!!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 AM

I don't like New Year's Resolutions so I very rarely make them. But, that said, I am going to try really hard not to purchase any sewing machines this year and to get the ones I have up and running. I may also try to find good homes for some as I have over 70 and that is way too many, especially when some of them are duplicates. We'll see how well I do. The problem is there always seems to be an inexpensive machine that is in good shape, is a really beautiful color, or is one that I don't have and I just cave. I just can't bear to see them in trashcans or sitting on the sidewalk with a "free" sign on them
Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 AM

Yup ..... what Blackberry said ^^^^^^^^^^^.

Joe