Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting needles >

Hand Quilting needles

Hand Quilting needles

Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Hand Quilting needles

Suggestions welcome. I have tried my no name collection of all purpose needles. The one I liked, mid-length bent! I bought some John James size 10 and while they are a dream to thread, they squeak and protest going through the material. This is a whole new world to me.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I've never had a John James needle squeak or protest, what are you hand stitching?
I use John James and Roxanne needles. Generally Sharps, Milners when I want a long needle and Applique's.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

You might want to try the Hiroshima Tulip needles. Here is a prior thread where these are mentioned for hand quilting:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t273593.html

And here is a link to the Youtube video that explains how these needles are manufactured differently from others (they use surgical probe processes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UGcNRS6sF0

Edit: What batting are you using? I would think the batting is more responsible for the squeaking than the fabric (unless perhaps if it is batik fabric).

Last edited by Prism99; 01-04-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
Suggestions welcome. I have tried my no name collection of all purpose needles. The one I liked, mid-length bent! I bought some John James size 10 and while they are a dream to thread, they squeak and protest going through the material. This is a whole new world to me.
I am a long time hand quilter. The only thing I machine quilt is the small quilts I make for the Linus Project. I know that they will be washed to death. I just checked to see what hand needles I have in my stash. They seem to be size 9 Richard Hemming and Son with large eyes. From the price sticker on them I purchased them at a quilt shop. There were at least a dozen in the package for $1.95. I probably use up two or three needles quilting a bed size quilt.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:20 PM

The batting is an 80/20 and the material is all cotton. This dog is slow at learning new tricks!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM

not a hand quilter myself, but teach beginner classes for my guild and it includes an intro to hand quilting and my guild buddies that help said to get poly or wool bat--but definitely not a 80/20, to use in class as the 80/20 is hard to "needle" through.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 AM

I use Roxanne betweens - usually #11's (sometimes 10's or 12's depending on what's on hand). I get them from Colonialneedle.com. I agree the batting is probably causing your 'squeaking' vs the needles. I know many others here love John James needles but I was not a fan. I hand quilt using Warm & Natural 100% cotton batting. Most folks recommend NOT hand quilting with that batting but I do not have an issue with it. It, too, sometimes will 'squeak'.

I find the Roxanne's to be nice & sharp and quite sturdy. Don't remember the cost. If you have a quilting buddy that uses them, perhaps she'd let you try one or 2 before purchasing???