Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Budget >

Quilting Budget

Quilting Budget

Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Default Quilting Budget

I am wondering if anyone has set a monthly quilting budget for themselves and what do you spend it on? I have a nice "stash" of projects but am always enticed by the new quilts and fabric that I see. I have done a good job recently of not purchasing anything new but am so tempted. I also remember reading, I believe on this board, that you should not hoard kits and fabric because in a few years you may not like what you purchased and/or want the latest and greatest. I hope to retire in a few years and will not have the extra spending money I do now so I am fighting within myself on whether or not to purchase quilt kits and/or fabric for future use.

Curious as to what you think.
Thank You,
Marlene
Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM

I don't have a monthly budget. Generally limit myself to buying neutrals or other fabric on a fantastic sale if there is enough for a backing. When I first started quilting I bought on impulse, small amounts of fabric I was sure I'd use for this or that. Still have some of those. I don't buy quilt kits. You could set aside your monthly budget quilt money now for that day in the future when you want to splurge....but buying fabric now is more fun! and some deals are just too good to pass up.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM

I do not have a budget, I have more hobbies than the handquilting, quilt fabric I buy 2 sometimes 3 times a year.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Quilting budget? What's that?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I have a monthly pension and interest from my retirement savings fund and it's not part of the house budget so I spend it however I want. I buy kits mostly to have for my later years. Batiks will never go out of liking nor will solids. I tend to buy kits with those fabrics.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM

When I realized I was going to retire in a couple years I concentrated on my machines. I needed a new sewing machine, so I bought my Janome MC 6600P, and when I went to the Road to CA show, I bought my Accuquilt Go and my favorite dies. The right after I retired I bought my Viking Topaz 20, sewing/embroidery machine. When I first retired I organized the stash I already had - my total weakness is Christmas fabric, Halloween, and kids prints. But I did not bother to stock up on kits or fabric because my taste changed over the years, some of my stash I looked at and thought "What was I thinking?" If you are concerned, find a box or can that you can use as a bank and put the money into it so you save it up now. It will not acrue interest in your sewing room, or have some money taken out of your check every month into a bank account to use when you retire.
Guess what I am saying, don't buy it now because you are afraid you won't be able to afford it later, save the money to buy what you want when you want to buy it.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:02 PM

I do not have a budget either but I am finding that I do not buy nearly as much as I used to. I have sorted by fabrics and set aside a bunch of the fabric that I bought when I first started quilting to use for backing and I do not buy too many pre cuts any more I find I do not use as much as when they first came. Tools are another area that I have quit buying just because I might use it one day.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM

I don't have a budget, but I do try to take into consideration if the fabric I buy may have another use besides what I bought it for. Fabric is so expensive now that I really don't buy as much as I used to.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

whenever i have any 'spare' money, it's usually spent quilt-wise... i don't have a specific budget
Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Budget? hahaha )))))