Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you didn't laugh, you'd cry... >

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

Old 01-12-2016, 03:51 AM

I've taken a short break from quilting to help with costumes for a high school musical, all my projects being based on period clothes of the 1940's and 1950's. I had forgotten how much "trouble" inserting a side zipper was, but I decided that I would not be taken down by something as small as a zipper! I carefully pressed back seam allowances, staystitched meticulously, then inserted the zipper almost a single stitch at a time. It was nothing less than perfect! I was so proud of myself. Then I noticed that the whole thing had been put in [U]upside down[U]!! I can hardly wait to get back to piecing and quilting, needless to say.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 AM

Well, the biggest sewing disaster wasn't caused by me but my 100lb Akita. He normally doesn't ever go into my sewing room but every once in a while when he wants a quiet place to lay down, he'll sneak in there away from the other little hyper dog and noise in the house. He loves to lay on things. This one day he seen a quilt top that I had on my table and pulled it down, then got it tangled up in the rollers of my chair. When I saw my quilt top I was livid. all of the center were embroidered blocks and then the outside rows were civil war blocks, most of them are ruined. I think I can salvage the inside blocks but most of outside ones are history, some I already have made but the corners were civil war reversed applique which really looked great. I still haven't investigated to see what all I'll have to do to save this, its been almost a yr. I cry to think about it. So many hours spent on the 5in outside blocks and all of the embroidered blocks for the center. Oh well, things happen and since it wasn't done for spite by someone what can you say. He just wanted something to lay on, the carpet wasn't enough
Old 01-12-2016, 05:05 AM

I was on Facebook a week or so back and a lady posted a picture of her new Twisted Wreath wall hanging and asked what everyone thought. One woman called it a "swastika" Hitler Quilt. I told her if she didn't know the difference between the Twisted template and a real swastika she should just keep her mouth shut. Maybe the same applies here?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 AM

What many call a swastika, was originally a Hindu symbol indicating success.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:58 AM

My mistakes wind up as part of something else or pot holders or hot pads.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM

Those stinkin' Nazi's ruined it for EVERYONE!!!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 AM

this is the reason I now use a design board. I used to just lay out the couple blocks I was working on and 'imagine' what a bigger set would look like. Now I stick them up and step way back to look at them - WHOLE DIFFERENT VIEW! You can buy one or just cover a board (ceiling tile, drywall, plywood, etc) with either header foam or flannel or even felt. If space is an issue, store it under a bed or slide it along the wall behind a cabinet. It is very definitely worth the effort.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 AM

My first large size quilt using the Turning Twenty pattern, I cut blocks or borders too small, had to order more fabric online and then those dreaded shipping charges. I think my DH even gave me the sage advice "measure twice, cut once".
I have all the fabrics bought and ready for a Scrappy Christmas quilt just sitting-the directions are lousy! Even had my quilt mentor read, thankfully she agreed.
My other angst, I gifted a Warm Wishes baby size quilt. My top stitching was horrible, I used the wrong thread, the wrong color. I tried to coax it back in a trade for a Chevron that turned out really cute. I vowed to never force the quilting process when I am not in the zone and to never gift a quilt that I am not satisfied with.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM

One of my first D9P quilts had the "swastika" showing up. At first I was dismayed, then realized that as others have said, the Nazi's didn't create it, and why should they be allowed to destroy it. So I left them in, bright and pretty in the design of my quilt and felt I was doing my bit to give that design back it's original dignity!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 AM

When I took Suzy Payne's sampler class I was an over achiever and made many blocks one week. One of them looked like a swastika to me and I refused to put it in my quilt. All family members saw it too when they viewed the block. Suzy thought it was a great block and didn't see what I saw. I ended up giving it to her as I planned to trash it and she couldn't see that happening to such a nice looking block. I drew her attention to what it appeared to be to me and she disagreed and gladly took my 'trash.'