Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you didn't laugh, you'd cry... >

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

Old 01-12-2016, 11:23 AM

I made a quilt that used a large triangle on the end. No matter what I did I could not get that corner to meet with the rest of the quilt. I knew I had cut it out right but it just would not match. I took that thing apart 3 times. I put that quilt away for almost 2 years. One day I got it out and thought about it and decided that if I did not get it that time I would give it away to someone more advanced than I who could put it together. Armed with my seam ripper I took it apart one last time. Gave it a pressing and full of resignation I started to put it together. All of a sudden the seams met perfectly and I was able to finish it. Surprise, surprise. Still shaking my head to this day.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 AM

I do dumb things all the time. Usually it's on the order of flippy corners sewn on the wrong diagonal, and are noticed before it gets too far along. I just ripped out a beak on an owl block. The beak was supposed to be green but I made it light gray, the same color of the face - all 4 flippy corners the wrong color. Didn't notice it until the whole block was sewn together. It's fixed now.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:46 PM

I just did it now on a mystery quilt. I cut 3" pieces instead of 1.75" pieces, because the instructions state cut 1.75" strips and sew them together to make a 3" strip. Another section had me do that earlier and then cut into 3" sections for 3" x 3", so my brain read it as 3" again. Luckily, I figured out that I can sew the 3" sections to make 5.5" sections and subcut them into 3 - 1.75" pieces and hopefully have the correct number of pieces without having to cut another pair of 1.75" strips.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 PM

My biggest mistake belongs to a cowboy boot block that I absolutely cannot get to come out right Some of it is paper pieced and some not, but it seems no matter what I change it won't work. This is another pattern error in Fons and Porter Magazine. Infuriating. I think I will just give up on it.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Here is my most recent "oops". (Tonight)

I think this block I just made is very pretty. And there are a lot of small pieces, seams and points that lined up nicely.

The mistake is the direction the blue chevrons are pointing: should be toward the center! Good thing it is going into a sampler quilt!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM

JenniePenny -- your "mistake" made a very pretty block! So glad you're keeping it intact!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:22 PM

The swastika design is much older than WWII. As a child, I found it on a medallion for a New England Indian tribe, and was told that it meant good luck to that tribe. Sorry you were disappointed.
My biggest "OOPS" was having friendship blocks made in an exchange with a fabric that turned out to fade rapidly when exposed to even non-direct sunlight! I asked for the fabric to appear interior to each block, and was using it for set-ups, too.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

The first quilt I EVER made was tied. I was snipping them to have a uniform length and cut into the border. It looked like a three corner tear. Patched it. Gave it to my sister for Christmas. She LOVED it.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 AM

I have a picture of my grandmother and at the bottom of the photograph was a "swastika". It was the design of the German cross. It is a beautiful design. I have made it before. Edie
Old 01-13-2016, 03:37 AM

So many 'oops' for me to choose from, but the one I remember the most is my very first quilt. I had no idea you were supposed to square up the finished top. I assumed that because everything was cut and sewn according to the pattern (ha!) you'd just have to add the border to fit the sides In my defence, I had no previous sewing experience. Result - more waves than the sea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540066[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2018.jpg