Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you didn't laugh, you'd cry... >

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

Old 01-13-2016, 06:01 AM

Knitette, looks pretty good to me for a first effort!

Watson
Old 01-13-2016, 07:51 AM

My, so far, biggest blunder came just this Christmas. While it's not a quilt, it still tickles my funny bone to think about it. I was making my 17 mo old granddaughter a stocking hat for Christmas out of fleece fabrics. I was careful with the directions, making sure each step I took was correct. I had finished sewing the top of the hat closed and trimming it and couldn't wait to turn it right side out. So, I pulled the fabric thru the opening I had left and ended up with a circle of fabric in my hands. What?? How could this be? It looked just like a stocking hat while it was inside out, but every time I pulled it thru the opening, it ended up being a circle! Being that it was about 1 a.m. & I was tired, all I could do was laugh. I haven't looked at it since to figure out what happened, but I still have a little giggle every time I picture it. Maybe I should just give it to her as a cowl!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 AM

Beautiful fabric, and easy MSQC pattern (Big Star Quilt), no internet, I only printed off part of the pattern, at a quilting retreat so I did the rest by memory. After I finished ALL the big stars it just didn't look right. I realized I had not alternated the fabric in the stars. It is still folded and in a closet and unfinished.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Prior to WWII, the pattern 'swaztika' was a very popular pattern and it was called CRAZY ANN. It is still a pretty pattern but for the baggage it now carries.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:58 AM

The first time I used the Yellow Brick Road pattern, I had a friend, who had made one before, help me with the instructions. Once I got the top made I was so proud of myself. Then I saw it. One rectangle had been cut too short, and it left a gap. Of course, the gap is near the center of the top, not a side. I was not going to take it out and redo it. Thank God I had some fusible web. I took a piece of the fabric, applied it to the web, then ironed that new piece on and covered up the hole. I don't even think I can find it anymore!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:48 AM

I don't know if it really counts, but I recently cut my hand open with a rotary cutter and had to get 5 stitches. But I immediately bought myself a klutz glove. I learned my lesson.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 PM

Youch! I think I would have cried over that one!

Watson
Old 01-13-2016, 05:50 PM

My biggest Quilt mistake was not made by me but by our English Springer. She was about to give birth. We made a nice place for her to have her puppies in the basement next to my sewing room. The event came and heard her so I went down to check. She did not like what we made her she managed to get under what we had for blocking off my sewing room and pulled down an almost finished project that was for my nieces wedding. She had her pups on very expensive fabric and my niece did not receive her wedding present on time. Flame is in doggy heaven now but she left a very funny story to remind me of her every time I purchase expensive fabric.