Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm thread concern >

Longarm thread concern

Longarm thread concern

Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Default Longarm thread concern

I am wondering if Aurifil 100%cotton thread 50/2 should be easy to break with your hands? I'm a hobbyist with my longarm and don't go through thread quickly. If I can break it with my hands will it break when using my completed quilt in the future? Does cotton just have the ability to break rather than a polyester ? I don't have a problem with the thread while I am quilting with my longarm.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. Interesting question. You don't want a thread that will be abrasive to your quilt. I saw quilts that were machine quilted with polyester thread from the 70s and it litterally cut into the fabric. I have recently started to use Aurifil in my Bernina for piecing and haven't had any problems with the thread.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

If the thread is old and breaks when you hold two ends & give it a snap it is probably too weak to use. Even cotton thread should withstand the tug test.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I can break any thread with my hands. It's a matter of how easily it breaks. Some cotton threads are just as strong as some poly threads. If the thread breaks easily (I know that's subjective), then don't use it.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
If the thread is old and breaks when you hold two ends & give it a snap it is probably too weak to use. Even cotton thread should withstand the tug test.
this is what I learned about determining if a thread is strong enough for long arm use. Remember that you are quilting much fast than your domestic and in all directions.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info and I will give the tug test a try!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:44 AM

Aurifil is a great thread, it is only two ply. Viking recommended it for my Mega quilter. its cotton so it'll hold up better than polyester because it won't cut thru fabric since its cotton. I use many different threads for many different projects but when it comes to putting together quilts I only use Aurifil, mainly because I have less problems with the seems being the right size which if you are doing a small block with many seams it makes a big difference. I was surprised when my civil war teacher showed me the difference. I also use it in my embroidery machine and have no problems with it.