Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big totes full of double knits >

Big totes full of double knits

Big totes full of double knits

Old 01-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Question Big totes full of double knits

Our quilt group received 2 large plastic bins of double knit fabrics. The pieces are at least 2 yards per, unused, dark colors. We need suggestions please for uses for them. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:21 AM

I have several lap quilts that my Sister made us. They have no batting, lined with flannel. Warm as toast. Would work very good for nursing home lap quilts. They never wear out. You could make 5 or 6 inch blocks or just yardage and tie them or quilt them. Sister tied them. They wash like magic.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Our guild was given rolls of the waffle knit, like the polo shirts. It was doubled on the roll. We cut off one to two yard pieces, sewed the ends together and made kennel blankets for the local animal shelter and the Humane society. I didn't think we would ever get rid of the stuff. 50 yard rolls go a long long way. LOL
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Double knit quilts are almost industructable. I have seen programs were they use them to make quilts for the homeless. If you Google double knit quilt pictures, I am sure you can find some great examples. I have a big one I made out of simple 6 inch squares with a flannel back for the cottage over 40 years ago and it's still going strong. I quilted it in a simple grid pattern on my old Singer.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Definitely quilts for the homeless is a great use for that fabric, especially if you have dark colors that won't show dirt. If you or your group don't want to make them, put an ad on Craigslist, because there are charity sewing groups in many communities that would want it for blankets.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:58 PM

i have a friend that makes quilts out of polyester squares and ties them. She wins ribbons at the local fair with them . Not fancy, but pretty and very durable.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Our guild was given rolls of the waffle knit, like the polo shirts. It was doubled on the roll. We cut off one to two yard pieces, sewed the ends together and made kennel blankets for the local animal shelter and the Humane society. I didn't think we would ever get rid of the stuff. 50 yard rolls go a long long way. LOL
Wow, that's a great idea. I passed up some double knits at a garage sale because I didn't know what I'd ever do with it. Next time I'll buy it and make dog beds or blankets for the rescue I work with. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Friends of mine have several double knit pieced quilts that a dear friend of theirs made. They take them everywhere like picnics and to the beach. As has been mentioned, they are durable, washable, very utilitarian. You can raw edge applique on them and they don't fray.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:21 PM

My granny made all of us one in the Seventies. They are heavy. They are hot when it is hot and cold when it is cold. Okay for picnics and stuff, but I hate sleeping under them.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:41 PM

that's great making blankets for the animals
I can not believe I made clothes in the 70's out of knits and polyester