Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please! >

Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please!

Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

i am sorry to say, you should test drive numerous machines before you jump in to buy. You will have no support from a retailer and there is nothing worst than finding out that another model might have suited you better. It is just like buying a car, you need to get out there and test drive a lot of machines.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
i am sorry to say, you should test drive numerous machines before you jump in to buy. You will have no support from a retailer and there is nothing worst than finding out that another model might have suited you better. It is just like buying a car, you need to get out there and test drive a lot of machines.
what you say is true to a point........I think any BL dealer would be willing to do repair,maintenance on this machine even if she did not purchase it from him...
it sounds like a machine with some nice features that seem to be now basic...and not many out there in the marketplace offered for that price. Plus the seller is offering a limited return policy....
the potential buyer now has a low end machine (she stated) so this would be a good upgrade at minimal cost and then if down the road she wants to, she can go up the ladder and possibly resell this machine and get some of her $$ back.

My recommendation is: Go for it.....but that's jmho
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM

My friend bought this machine used and loves it. I've sewn on it and went to buy one at the dealer.....basically they changed the name to Elizabeth..... great machine and the bobbins etc are readily available at the dealer. Sounds like a good deal to me but definitely try it out. Have the owner do a demonstration then you sew. When was this machine last serviced?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:11 PM

My husband bought me a Babylock Decorator's Choice a year or two before they changed the name, I can't remember what year it was, but I do remember that it was on sale for $1,100 (canadian). I liked it so much that a few years ago, I went out and got the smaller model "Grace". I would definitely buy another DC at that price. I have never had any problems with the Decorator's Choice, and have been extremely happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails dscn4716.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
With my last two Pfaffs I had zero dealer support. I bought my Janome in November from a dealer who also sells Brother and hates Janome (have no idea why she sells them). Not having dealer support is not the be all to end all.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by lyndaj View Post
With my last two Pfaffs I had zero dealer support. I bought my Janome in November from a dealer who also sells Brother and hates Janome (have no idea why she sells them). Not having dealer support is not the be all to end all.
It doesn't sound like a very good dealer. My Bernina dealer has always been great. For a novice, I always suggest buying from a dealer as you can get a lot of help from them and they have classes to familiarize you with the machine and it's features.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM

Many dealers offer classes at reasonable rates - for any machine or skill level. All the dealers in my area do. And none of them care where you got the machine...I teach those classes at two local dealers and one LQS.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 PM

I hope you went to check this out sounds like a good deal.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:49 AM

I paid $225 for the same machine, also on Craigslist, in June. I got it as a travel machine, since I hate giving up my knee lift, thread cutter, etc when using my old low end travel machine. I love it!!! I use it almost as much as my regular machine since it isn't in a table so I can set it up anywhere. It's a nice machine. I haven't been able to figure out a. Year for mine because they were made for 8 years I believe. If you read the manual it will tell you how to reset the default need position to center instead of left. I say go for it.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:31 PM

Sounds like a great deal. Test drive, make sure all the features work, then buy it! I have a different Babylock, the Serenade, and love, love, love it.