Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestiosn for photo transfer fabric >

Suggestiosn for photo transfer fabric

Suggestiosn for photo transfer fabric

Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Default Suggestiosn for photo transfer fabric

I am making a high school graduation t shirt quilt and plan to incoporate some photographs in it. What is the photo fabric you prefer to use? This is my first t shirt quilt as well as my first time making photos to use in a quilt! Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am using the Too Cool T-shirt quilt book, however I have decided to use interfacing on my blocks. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
MA
Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 PM

I've made several photo memory quilts using Printed Treasures. I've always been pleased with it. Just make sure the ink dries completely before stacking the pieces. I also press the sheets to make sure the ink has been permanently set.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM

I agree with Printet Treasures. Does a great job and the ink hold up with washings. I put grands and great on a pillowcase when I went in for surgery so I would have my babies with me. It has worn well. Great memories for your recipient.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I've made several photo memory quilts using Printed Treasures. I've always been pleased with it. Just make sure the ink dries completely before stacking the pieces. I also press the sheets to make sure the ink has been permanently set.
Do you just use a regular printer and regular ink? With black and white pictures?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 PM

I also use Printed Treasures. You just need a regular ink jet printer (mine is an HP -- I call the companies when I needed a new one and ask if it can feed fabric -- some of them had trouble with the thickness. If I could not get an answer I would not buy the printer -- I got tired of taking the printers back to Costco because they would not handle my fabric.) I have printed both black and white and colored pictures. If you have photo software, if you over saturate the picture using the software you get a brighter picture on fabric (it looks really ugly on the computer, but the fabric absorbs some of the ink and the pictures look great on the fabric).
Old 01-22-2016, 06:54 AM

I have used Avery Printable Fabric sheets. They are 100% cotton fabric sheets and work great, just a little on the expensive side but hey if one is going to put a lot of work into making a quilt I'm game for the extra cost....
Old 01-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I haven't tried it but I have read on previous posts that after several washing, the ink fades. If it is to be an item to be washed, I would get it professionally printed.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:25 AM

I use an ink jet printer. QuiltnLady's suggestion of over saturating the ink is a good idea. A bit of color saturation will be lost in washing, but it is minimal. I would also suggest ironing the paper side before trying to take the paper off. The heat makes it easier to pull off.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 AM

Hello. I've been a longtime lurker here at the Quilting Board but this thread about photo printing is very timely for me as I'll be making 2 memory quilts with photos in the next couple of months.
I've read online somewhere that even if I use Printed Treasures, or Jacquard, etc sheets that I should still rinse them (after removing the paper backing) in Jet Set Rinse.
Is that really needed? No one in this thread has mentioned it.
Thanks very much.
Karen