Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pfaff Tipmatic 6122 & Pfaff Hobbymatic 919-1 >

Pfaff Tipmatic 6122 & Pfaff Hobbymatic 919-1

Pfaff Tipmatic 6122 & Pfaff Hobbymatic 919-1

Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM

Default Pfaff Tipmatic 6122 & Pfaff Hobbymatic 919-1

I have an opportunity to purchase both these machines for $75 each. They look clean and include cases and manuals plus pedals. Not sure about accessories and I haven't tried them. I've never had a Pfaff but understand they're great machines. I can find little information about these models and wonder if they're both basic machines, no IDK, and maybe redundant. Any advice or information would be much appreciated. I have my mother's old Singer and love its steady rhythm but not the buttonholer. Also, if I purchased just one, which is the better choice. Thanks, JoAnne
Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 PM

Welcome, I don't have a clue about either machine. Price is generally up to you. Hope someone on here can help.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Google them!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:36 PM

While those two machines are newer than the Pfaffs I have, my best guess is that the 6122 is probably the better machine of the two. I think it's one of the last ones made in Germany. Check for "Made in West Germany" on the column, probably inside the harp or maybe on the back. I believe all of the Hobbymatics are lesser end machines, usually if not always made in Japan, to offer a more economical line. Take fabric, thread, scissors and a machine needle with you and ask to test it. Run it through several of the different stitches to see how it works and if you like the feel of the machine. Generally, Pfaffs are very good machines and IMNSHO the older, the better. The 6122 might have IDT but I'm not sure without looking at one.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:19 PM

The 6122 will have the IDT, the Hobbymatic will not. The 6122 was made in Germany, the Hobbymatic in Japan or Taiwan. The 6122 is a more complicated machine. Both have some plastic parts. I'd go with the 6122 as long as I could test it first.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 PM

First, I should mention that I service machines - so some of the information here is about more than sewing with the 6122.

I have the 6122. It's my go to machine for most of my home sewing. It's a basic mechanical machine with IDT and utility stitches but no real decorative stitches. As others have mentioned, it's built in Germany rather than "designed in Germany" and built in China, Taiwan, etc.

It sews -almost- anything I throw at it. The only beef that I have with it is that there's no presser foot pressure adjustment and it errs on the light side so for some fabrics - usually thick seams - think the flat felled part of a pair of jeans where you turn the hem under - it may need a little help to travel over it. It's not a piercing power thing, it's a feeding thing.

Otherwise, I really don't run into any problems with it at all. It's easy to use, I find it relatively easy to service (a little harder to get into than a true vintage machine but less character building than a new plastic fantastic) and I do love the IDT.

It's a very resilient machine as well - I smashed a titanium needle on it a couple of months ago - bent it into a C shape! - and didn't throw the timing at all - the needlebar height was good as well as the hook. In the event that the timing does get thrown, the machine is well built enough that it can likely be re-timed without parts replacement. A friend hit a pin with her machine (a 7570 built around the same time) and it was simple to time.

Feet can be a bit pricey (but cheaper than say Bernina feet) so make sure that as many as possible are with the machine. The front portion of the bed swings out to make it an open arm and all of the feet and accessories are in that "flap". I would buy it again in a heartbeat - especially for $75. Around me, you rarely see them for under $250

I have no opinion on the hobbymatic. I don't have one and I haven't serviced any but all the ones I've seen do not have IDT.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:38 PM

I own 11 sewing machines.. I have been on the quest for the perfect ones for years. Most makes, vintage and all singing all dancing modern ones are included. Last year I finally managed to get hold of one of the last German built Pfaff - the 6122. It cost about £200 delivered, second hand from eBay. I plugged it in, and LOVED it. The IDT is brilliant and it literally punched through anything - including 8 layers of décor weight fabric. Then it went PFFFFFT and was completely dead. For a few months I did nothing and then last week I took it to my local sewing machine man. He repaired it, apparently the foot control (dual speed) had gone, and as it is also the power supply it means the whole machine was dead. Anyway, long story short, apparently it's a weak point of the machine, but you can get replacement ones, just not dual speed. Luckily he had a vintage Pfaff one in his stock, and although not dual speed I have the machine back and working. I sewed with it today, and can't believe how it never skips a stitch, goes through many layers and has a beautiful stitch quality - it can sew things other machines have failed at! In short, if you can live with maybe having to get another foot controller get the 6122. At that price I would buy it even with all my other machines. In Europe they go for between £200-£300 as they are really desirable.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
The 6122 was made in Germany, the Hobbymatic in Japan or Taiwan.
I have a Hobbymatic 919-1 in front of me now, and right underneath the model number it says "Made by PFAFF in West Germany"
Mike