Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why enter quilt shows? >

Why enter quilt shows?

Why enter quilt shows?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 AM

Last year was my first ever quilt show and I showed my very first quilt. I wasn't sure why I was doing it really. I don't feel a need to be judged. I felt my opinion is all that mattered but I had joined the local quilters guild and they were begging people to display so the show would be nice and big. I went ahead and entered my quilt and figured in for a penny, in for a pound and said sure to judging as well. We could choose to be judged or not and members encouraged me to be judged and said it would give me some feedback so I could improve my skills.

This was the first show I had ever even seen! I was really taken by all the vendors and raffles, and the displays. The quilts were all so beautiful! I started getting a little excited to see my quilt hung up with all the rest, but I patiently wandered the rows taking in all the colors and beautiful designs.

I was shocked when we came to my quilt there were ribbons hanging on it! I had no idea that ribbons were presented. I only expected a written critique. It was really wonderful and people came over to congratulate me and tell me how much they liked my quilt! It felt good to be recognized for my hard work.

So far as why enter? I would say, it's nice to be a part of something like this. It shows the talents and creativity that abound in your community. It gives you a chance to see for yourself where you stand with your level of talent and what you might aspire to be. The judging sheet gives a more detailed scrutiny of your workmanship showing areas that were noticed and those that really weren't. In my case I was overly critical of my quilting knowing that my stitches were uneven and the lines not perfect. The judges didn't seem to notice. I felt encourage to continue and will be excited to have a quilt to enter in this years show.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:20 AM

I have entered large and small shows. Sometimes the judge sends a critique and sometimes not. The thing I think of is that the judges opinion is just that....her opinion. What matters to me is that I am happy with MY quilt and the work I did on it.

I have won several blue ribbons and am very proud of them but the one I am proudest of is the 'Viewers choice' ribbon I won on my log cabin quilt. I made a queen size quilt with 3 inch finished log cabin blocks and called it 'Not your Grandma's Log Cabin". It was in 30's prints. It is still one of my favorite quilts. With the 'viewers choice' other quilters just like me chose the one they like the best. It made me very proud they chose mine.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:50 AM

[Onebyone:
I have won several Viewer's Choice awards and they mean more to me then any judge's ribbon.[/QUOTE]
Let me begin by saying I'm an advanced beginner/beginning intermediate quilter and will probably never advance much beyond that. I quilt for MY enjoyment and pleasure. I've entered quilts in local shows and county fair just because I want to show them off, not expecting to win a ribbon. I have won a couple of ribbons but I treasure the Viewers Choice award I won. It validated for me that my vision appealed to others.
That said, your guild needs to decide if they want to have a competition or a show or both.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Having only ever been to one show, maybe everyone does this, but our fair breaks up the entries into categories. As in, they have different classes for quilts done on domestic machines, short arm and long arm machines. They have the same for wall hangings. That way my quilt done on my domestic isn't being judged against someone's long arm masterpiece.
I show my horse in a sport called dressage where we get a written score sheet and comments from the judge and I would love to get that on my quilt, as well.
I show my wall hangings because I like to see how my work stacks up against others. Last year, we pinned 3rd at the county fair, which I was thrilled with.

Watson
Old 01-24-2016, 02:55 PM

I share concerns for the driving time involved in entering and picking up quilts. Because rural areas are involved in shows here, some of the neighboring guilds have drop-off and pick-up locations for convenience. These spots are usually quilt shops. In one case a member of the show sponsoring guild is there to check them in. In another, there is simply a piece of paper to use for logging in. Of course, both have their entrance requirements (previous registration, picture, form pinned to the quilt, use of pillowcase for storage and transport). Having this convenience has made a difference in my decision to enter.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:01 PM

All good suggestions -- will keep them in mind for our next show in 2017.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:05 PM

As I have mentioned many times on the forum, most of my quilts are given to an annual Bible camp fundraiser. This NOT a quilt show, but they do have "bidder's choice" (similar to viewer's choice, except that you must have a bidder's card). In addition, they have an "auctioneer's choice", and a "camp neighbor's" (people who live around the lake) choice. In my mind the most prestigious award is the "quilter's choice" where the voting is done by quilter's who have donated quilts.

My 91 year old mother won the "auctioneer's choice" in 2014, but last year she won "bidder's choice". There are no prizes for this -- just applause at the event. But what a thrill it was!

My point is that a judged award is one thing, but there are other things that a show can do. There are shows that have sponsors, perhaps local businesses, vendors, etc. And someone from the sponsor's group selects a "favorite", and the group awards a modest prize. The more of these that there are, the more prizes that are received.

Last edited by Daylesewblessed; 01-24-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM

I've shown a few quilts in different quilt shows and rather enjoyed the process until I scribed for a judge. One of the judges was sick so there weren't as many judges as there should have been which made more work and a slower process for the judges that were there. The judge I ended up following had other plans at a certain time and kept commenting how slow it was going. When he went to his area to judge the quilts he did try to hurry the process and kept telling me to write more quilting needed on ALL the quilts that weren't really heavily quilted like a rug. I was very disappointed as many that he passed over this way were perfect and more quilting would not have enhanced them. This was especially disappointing for the hand quilted ones that were judged against the machine quilted ones since WE know how much longer hand quilting takes. Even though judgement is subjective I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since. Now I just go to the shows for pure enjoyment of the beautiful quilts and nothing more.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
We have a Quilt Show every other year. The biggest argument always is whether members should pay to get into the show or not. Admission is only $5.00. This decision is up to the Chairs - and changes every show. I see both sides of this argument, however if we want to assure coming out in the black, it's not going to break anyone's budget and could be looked at as a contribution to the Guild.
Our guild show is every other year & admission is $8. Everyone pays unless you volunteer and then your admission fee is waived for the rest of the day after your shift (or if you are working the final shift, you can come for an hour before your shift to view the show).
Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Having only ever been to one show, maybe everyone does this, but our fair breaks up the entries into categories. As in, they have different classes for quilts done on domestic machines, short arm and long arm machines. They have the same for wall hangings. That way my quilt done on my domestic isn't being judged against someone's long arm masterpiece.
I show my horse in a sport called dressage where we get a written score sheet and comments from the judge and I would love to get that on my quilt, as well.
I show my wall hangings because I like to see how my work stacks up against others. Last year, we pinned 3rd at the county fair, which I was thrilled with.

Watson

Our local guild show does that, too. We have shows every other year. All quilts are sorted into categories -- I believe our 2014 show had at least 12 categories. I don't think there were separate ones for LA vs. DSM, but they definitely broke out by art quilts, wearable quilts, applique, hand quilted, hand quilted + hand pieced, custom quilting design, all-over or pantograph design, embroidery, tied quilts, small quilts/wall hanging, etc.

I remember there were different ballots for guild members vs. non-guild members, but don't recall what the difference was. I know it's a major fundraiser for our guild so I plan to enter one for our show this fall, but I'm not really sure that having viewers vote is any better than having judges pick. Sometimes it becomes about people voting for their friends and/or who can bring the most paying guests to the show. Ah well, what are you gonna do?